Red Dragon Coral Help

zenom

So I have (had??) a small frag of this , that up until this morning looked fine. Had white tips, but I attributed that to growing.

This morning I had what looked like all the flesh is coming off the coral and now its just white.

Params:
------------------------------------
Calcium: 400
Mg: 1000
dKH: 8
Temp 79.5 - 80.0
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.24 (8.1 - 8.25) fluctuation

The two most recent things that I did.

1. I started dripping Kalk, 1 tsp, per gallon, to maintain dKH / Calcium
2. I moved the corals to the middle of the tank, medium flow, on a piece of egg crate.

See picture below.

Photo%20Jan%2015%2C%208%2006%2054%20AM.jpg

Any help on what would cause this would be great.

Looks to me like rtn/stn. I dont think anybody really knows what causes that exactly it just seems to happen. I went through a time where every sps I put in would rtn and it happens quite fast within hours. If a had to guess it could have been a spike in alk. It seem to me that when my alk would swing was when I started to notice problems but that is just a guess.

Curious if dipping this in coralrx would have been the problem. I have heard that some corals do not respond well to dips. Is this one? If so how do others handle this coral ?

Mine did the same thing one day. It seemingly had no cause; it just happened. If I had to guess, I would say that my tank was ULN and the coral's health just gave out after not getting enough nutrients. It was weird because as it lost flesh it still had PE and had been growing really well. Sometimes an SPS doesn't need a reason to RTN. You just look at it too hard and it just dies.

GL with it.

If you dipped in coralrx that probably did it. Same thing happened with my first RD frag. Skin peeled right off.

Unfortunately looks like it is done, nothing you can do IMO. Could be too high of flow or light, or even if it got a bit of trauma on it from transporting (small piece of flesh knocked off), could start the rtn/stn process.

I did dose mag last weekend but then a water change for plot to check mag again. I will keep a closer eye on mag. I am leaning towards the dip causing it but hard to say for sure as it took about a week to RTN. I haven't checked phosphates I will do that as well just to see.

Back