Red Sea Coral Pro

Worleyxxx

Ever since trying this new salt over the last year or so I've had nothing but problems. No matter how long or how strong a pump I use to mix it always precipitates and makes the tank cloudy for days. It looks like a bacterial bloom happening and it's an absolute eyesore. I added two gallons of leftover pre mixed water I had left from my nano to my 180. Only 2 gallons!! Now the whole tank is hazy. I've figured out that as log as the only salt in the system is Red Sea coral pro it doesn't seem to precipitate. My nano is solely RSCP and it's crystal clear. The 180 on the other hand was filled with reef crystals at the beginning of its life due to cost factor. I would like to use a high quality salt for future water changes in the 180 but not RSCP due to precipitates it's forming. Does anyone have any experience with this issue/changing salts and do you recommend another brand of salt that WILL NOT form precipitates if I slowly start to change over in the 180?

If you have nothing but problems why not change to something that works for you?
They also have specific instructions which may be Ted's video.

Yea I've seen the video and takes directly to redsea about the issue and they don't seem to think it's a problem with the mixing. They recommended increasing the gph of the pump for more vigorous mixing, this last batch was mixed in a 6 gallon bucket with a mag drive 9. Also recommended dry mixing the bucket to make sure I wasn't getting too many trace elements that settled out. Nothing has helped. At this rate I'm at the end of my bucket after mixing a few wc for my nano and old 75 gal and the initial 30gal batch. I'm looking to change salts if there's any that someone on this forum recommends or some solution to the problem that has worked for someone else that I haven't tried.

I'm looking to change salts if there's any that someone on this forum recommends or some solution to the problem that has worked for someone else that I haven't tried.

I would look at Instant Ocean, Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and ESV.

I have use ESV since it came out. My experience, parameters are consistent, mixes easily and leaves much less residue. But I have used the others with success.
I mix and use 105 gallons a week.

When I mix it in the buckets it's crystal clear. It's only after its added to the tank it clouds everything.

Call Red Sea Customer support. They will ask for the serial number which came with the salt and will ship you a replacement free of charge including shipping.

Personally I use regular instant ocean purple label and BRS CA, MG, & KH.

Do you dose anything else in the 180? I have seen videos where the RSCP is mixed WITHOUT using a pump and that worked for them. Also read temperature has to be correct. Don't let it sit for more than a day. I use RSCP and it might mix cloudy sometimes but it clears up within an hour at the most.

Not all cloudiness is chemical participate. The effect could easily be a result of a bacterial bloom brought about by addition of the salt. In this well-written article about carbon-dosing, the observation of significant bacteria levels of Red Sea salt is briefly discussed.

"Bacterial Counts in Reef Aquarium Water: Baseline Values and Modulation by Carbon Dosing, Protein Skimming, and Granular Activated Carbon Filtration" By Ken S. Feldman, Allison A. Place, Sanjay Joshi, Gary White
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

"Five of the six salt mixes (Red Sea excepted) displayed little bacterial contamination beyond the pure water control, and the bacteria populations fluctuated but did not consistently rise over time as might be expected if sufficient nutrients were available (cf. Fig. 13). Thus, there is no reason to suspect that any of these five salt mixes themselves contribute to the high levels of bacteria in the make-up saltwater of Fig. 13. Red Sea salt, on the other hand, does appear to bring with it a not insignificant bacterial load. Once again, there was little increase over 5 days, indicating that sufficient nutrients for growth were not available under these "sterile" conditions. What is so special about Red Sea salt? This salt, uniquely among the six mixes tested, is made, at least partially, by drying authentic seawater. Thus, it appears to retain some viable bacteria from the drying process. The other five salt mixes are prepared from mixing strictly chemical sources of the components. Overall, it appears justified to conclude that the significant populations of bacteria in mixed saltwater are a result of container contamination and not salt mix introduction per se."

image_preview

Figure 15. Bacteria/mL count of six different brands of salt mix made up to 35 ppt salinity using RO/DI/0.2 uM filtered water in capped and foil-wrapped sterile flasks.

Being a partly "natural" product variation of effect should be expected. Some batches may produce greater "cloudiness", or none at all, than others based on oceanic conditions during collection of the raw materials going into the product. So a reasonable theory could be the elevated bacteria load brought in by this product is introduced to nutrients found in aquarium water which results in a large enough explosion of bacterial growth to temporarily cloud the tank. As shown in the article, bacteria can have a very rapid response time to various stimuli/factors. Is this THE cause, maybe, your observations fit the conclusion.

Attachments

• redseabac.jpg
    redseabac.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Do you dose anything else in the 180? I have seen videos where the RSCP is mixed WITHOUT using a pump and that worked for them. Also read temperature has to be correct. Don't let it sit for more than a day. I use RSCP and it might mix cloudy sometimes but it clears up within an hour at the most.

I'm not dosing any alk, mag, calc ect at this time. The only thing I have running is a carbon reactor. The tank has been setup for about three months wth mainly zoas in it at this time. Let me run through my test kits and I can get all parameters posted. After this I'm more than likely going to just switch salts and after reading Johns post that could very well be the issue. My first though was bacteria bloom but I've had cloudiness after using this salt in the past and it jus that me this morning that it was probably the cause.

Yea I've seen the video and takes directly to redsea about the issue and they don't seem to think it's a problem with the mixing. They recommended increasing the gph of the pump for more vigorous mixing, this last batch was mixed in a 6 gallon bucket with a mag drive 9. Also recommended dry mixing the bucket to make sure I wasn't getting too many trace elements that settled out. Nothing has helped. At this rate I'm at the end of my bucket after mixing a few wc for my nano and old 75 gal and the initial 30gal batch. I'm looking to change salts if there's any that someone on this forum recommends or some solution to the problem that has worked for someone else that I haven't tried.

I recently (early March) started up a 180g using RSCP salt. I filled my tank with RO/DI water and added the salt to the tank over a period of 1-2 hours with 2 MP40's running for circulation. Tank was clear within a couple of hours. No precipitates. For my WC I have a 90+g pale in my garage with RO/DI water and this past weekend added RSCP salt and over a 1 hour period brought it to a salinity of 1.024 to match the DT. I have a SICCE Syncra Pro 800GPH running in the pale for circulation. Again no precipitates and the water cleared fairly quickly.

Parameters are as follows
Salinity 1.024
Nitrate 15 (probably accounted for from my skimmer overflowing and spewing into sump)
Nitrite <.02
Calc 380
Alk 9
Ammonia 0
Ph 7.8
Temp 78

I wonder if I would've had the same issue had the 180 been filled completely in the beginning using RSCP

I think John has the answer right there.

"Being a partly "natural" product variation of effect should be expected. Some batches may produce greater "cloudiness", or none at all, than others based on oceanic conditions during collection of the raw materials going into the product"

I didn't know they used dried natural seawater myself.............

I'm still on my first bucket of RSCP I bought from my LFS and I change 5g a week, run it with a pretty strong pump, and just mix it until it's up to temperature, 80ish, and clear. And that takes about < 2 hrs. I only dose kalk in my TO. No problems so far. But, I am concerned about the news of inconsistency. . . can others back that up?

i used red sea coral pro for 2 years in two separate tanks with no issues at all. i now use red sea regular salt simply because its levels are right where i like to keep my tank levels at.

I was using rscp for about two years and had one issue after another. A fellow reef suggested changing to IO, I did change but to IO Reef crystals. Since changing over I have had some issues here and there but corals continue to grow and fish are all still here. No real idea if it was the salt, all I know is since changing things have been better.

Good luck

Back