Red Sea Reefer Cycle

Chris918

I have a Red Sea 350. This tank is using BRS reef saver dry rock and will be bare bottom. I've been looking over the cycling products available. I have used Bio Spira and Dr. Tim's, but was considering the Red Sea mature kit. I've heard this kit recommends you have the lights on during the cycle and it also mentions live rock instead of dry rock so I'm unsure if this kit will be the best option. Any advice or opinions?

Thanks!

Perhaps a minority opinion, but I swear to gosh you'd do just as well letting the tank cycle without any product beyond your patience and good test kits.

No reason that you have to run lights during the cycle.

I would, because a big box of blue water turns my crank. But you don't have to, as it gives algae a head start.

You could buy ammonia from ace hardware store, you could add dead shrimp, live rock that’s pest free to help seed

If you want or need a quick cycle there is nothing wrong with the bacteria in a bottle products. I had a situation where I needed some cycled rock quickly and got a two day cycle using Dr. Tim's One and Only. Normally I simply add enough pure ammonia without perfumes or surfactants (I get mine at Ace Hardware) to raise the ammonia to 2ppm and simply let nature take it from there, but expect a 4-5 week cycle using that method.

Back