Red Sea Sump Question

Dbroncos

So I am setting up a Red Sea Reefer 200 G2 with the Red Sea Reefmat and Red Sea skimmer. In order to fit them in the sump, Red Sea says to modify the sump by removing all the dividers in the sump. Does that create any issues?

I'm not familiar with their sumps. Do you have a picture? I went to their website and can't locate a decent enough picture to determine where the dividers are or how you would remove them.

So I cannot take a pic of my sump since I am not home but here is what Red Sea has posted on their site for sump modification of a Red Sea 200 G2 which is what I have. Looks like you remove all baffles.

Attachments

• Sump Pic.jpg
    Sump Pic.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 31
The back left is where the return pump goes. Again that would mean no dividers in the sump, is that a problem? I only plan on having a skimmer, Reefmat, heater and return pump anyway.

Last edited:
Is the sump glass or acrylic? Are the baffles easily removable or do you have to cut them out? If they are easily removable (no cutting) I would think there shouldn't be any issues. If you have to cut them out you'll have to be careful not to crack the glass/acrylic of the sump.

Ignore my post above. I just found this. Looks like you just need to cut through the silicone to remove the baffles. As long as you are a bit handy and comfortable doing this, there should be no issues.

The baffles are glass and Red Sea makes a kit to remove them easily. I don't mind doing it but is it weird that there would be no baffles? Basically its a 10 gallon tank.

I have no experience with reef mats, so I'm not sure how they work. IMO, the baffles are mostly to reduce micro-bubbles to keep them from getting to the pump and pushed into the display. Maybe the reef mat removes any bubbles?

Back