Red striped tile fish

Megatrev62

Still looking at ordering and wondering if anyone has any info on these. I understand they are jumpers but no worries there. Beautiful fish. Thanks

I've owned some tile fish in the past and actually have three flashing tiles coming in tomorrow (fingers crossed). I love Tile fish, the purples that I have owned in the past became extremely docile, actually letting me hold them.

In my experience, once you get them eating, they are pretty much bullet proof. I lost both my tiles to jumping. Check and then double check to make sure there is not a space they can escape from because they will try to jump without question.

Beautiful fish, good luck with them.

Thanks. Lovin the look of this fish. Mail order said they are jumpers and to have tank covered. Bonus was the fish is eating frozen mysis as well as pellet. I'll have to make sure every inch of the top is covered.

After some reading it seems this fish may be difficult long term. Kind of changing my mind right now. More input would be appreciated. TY

I have tried a few different tilefish with no luck, lost 2 to jumping. Then after resolving that I lost 3 all with in a couple weeks of buying them. They are beautiful fish but I have had no luck keeping them. Done trying

In my experience, the real challenge with tilefish is keeping them in your tank. Like I said before, if they are eating well, they have been pretty much bullet proof for me otherwise.

Both of mine died from a lack of water. I actually found them on multiple occasions out of the tank and was able to put them back in and had them recover.

I think they are a fish that isn't kept with much regularity and so there just isn't a lot of first hand knowledge. The two purples I had also came in loaded with flukes and I had no issues performing a FW dip and treating with DeLos either.

Thanks. Going to pass on this fish.

Thats really too bad that you are going to pass on this very cool fish. Tilefish are hardy, outgoing aquarium inhabitants if just a few important things are kept in mind.

1. The most difficult time for these guys is the first week after being caught. Oftentimes they are improperly decompressed and develop a gas bubble in their swim bladder. This may take a few days to fully develop, but if you are able to get one that does not exhibit this problem it will generally be very hardy.

2. They do best with a sand substrate where they can have a burrow they dart to when frightened. This also will decrease the likelihood that it will jump out of your tank when scared.

3. They do better with peaceful/docile tankmates in the begining, nobody that will chase/beat them up the first couple of days. After that they can handle themselves pretty well.

I have found tilefish to be very hardy living for 3+ years in reef tanks.

Back