Red Tail in Fuval Chi

Rollins4Miles

I know this is a saltwater forum, but I saw this on CL and my stomach dropped. Someone in my area has a Red Tail catfish in a 5g chi aquarium along with another catfish. For anyone who is familiar with freshwater fish, particularly the Red Tail, you can understand my disgust with this arrangement. Clearly whatever store sold him this fish didn't care much about the fish's health or life as to not question the buyer about his setup. He's asking $55 for the tank and two fish. I'm about to offer him $20 just so I can get the fish and give them to a store.

I would have vented to the gf but she's out of town at the moment. Lucky her, lol.

Attachments

• 00f0f_8zQ2DIR23OW_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_8zQ2DIR23OW_600x450.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
theres a moron at the local store here that always tells people getting their first tank to get a tank 55g or less and start with redtail cats. guy doesnt deserve to own a single animal or be working with them

Crazy thing is I used to believe that myth when I was a lad.... then I got an Oscar... lol

O I've had many Oscars in my freshwater days. I think it's the most common large freshwater fish kept in undersized aquariums. It's very easy to tell when an Oscar is/was kept in a tank that was too small. They definitely don't grow the way they're supposed to and become deformed. My last Oscar was a stunningly beautiful 14in scaredy cat. I had a Red Tail / Shovelnose hybrid that outgrew my 220g in a matter of months. I'm surprised this Red Tail in the chi aquarium hasn't burst the seams yet.

Back