Reef cleaners website warning

This has been my experience as well. I have ordered from John numerous times from Saint Louis, San Antonio and Austin. There are always a few dead ones and more live ones than I ordered. Some I thought were dead were not dead. They are one of the few places I have bought from that has never disappointed me and I always got more than I ordered.

Same here, ordered snails from them several times, summer and winter, some die but most live. They tend to be lethargic for the first week but eventually recover. The ones that die become new homes for hermits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been my experience as well. I have ordered from John numerous times from Saint Louis, San Antonio and Austin. There are always a few dead ones and more live ones than I ordered. Some I thought were dead were not dead. They are one of the few places I have bought from that has never disappointed me and I always got more than I ordered.

Yep, same here.

I've had the same ordeal with Reef Cleaners good service. The USPS is what the issue was. I know when my mail person delivers mail and know that it gets delivered later in the day. You have to make adjustments to who delivers packages accordingly. If it was me, I would have done UPS or FedEx if I knew the package wouldn't have been delivered before noon. Reef Cleaners is flexible with package delivery services.

I have issues with Algae Barn's delivery of pods and phyto where the USPS held the package 3 days because the USPS was slow and the package was held up in San Francisco. The next delivery from Algae Barn was UPS.

Moral of the story, base package delivery on when they could be delivered. The earlier in the day (especially during the summer months and try to not order tank inhabitants during the summer/hotter months) by using FedEx, UPS, or USPS to your advantage.

Multiple orders from John at Reef Cleaners. Nope, the bags stink, no question. But most everything lives, and I bet I end up with a LOT more than I ordered.
In reference to "cutting corners", I would say he saves you money on the cost of unnecessary styrofoam. He could raise the price for everyone and always pack that way, but he gives you the choice. Expecting him to give it to you for free isn't fair (that's HIS hard earned money). You aren't entitled to a free box. Maybe, "hmmm, it's summer, maybe I should spend a little extra to make sure my animals arrive safely."
TBS has one of the best reputations in the industry, and Richard charges $8 for each box. No complaints.
I've done sales for 2 major companies. The first charged for shipping separately, the second rolled it into the price. Either way, the customer is paying it.

I didn't see anywhere after paying for item to have option to pay for box and on previous order I paid for clean up crew it came packaged properly maybe he changed that and I didn't notice np.ill check it out

I didn't see anywhere after paying for item to have option to pay for box and on previous order I paid for clean up crew it came packaged properly maybe he changed that and I didn't notice np.ill check it out

I never even knew about the styrofoam option, honestly. I think if it was needed, I would also trust the vendor to pack, and charge, appropriately. I think the bottom line in this is that you didn't expect the smell, thought that everything was rotten, and didn't put it in your tank. The reality may be that the animals were fine all along.
I think I remember talking to John at one point, and he said that if he shipped in water, the breakdown product would be far worse.

Okay thank you , I can't argue his reputation he seems to have a lot of defenders , in just of opinion charge me if it helps keep my product alive and not have to handle those temps

I just ordered and I loved what I got. Tons of stuff. Most all lived. Maybe a few dead but I couldn't really tell

Did you count the snails? Anytime I've ordered from reef cleaners there's almost double the amount ordered in the bag. I have to assume John does that to cover any losses but I usually only lose a few. And yes, they always smell terrible. Lol

+1 count the snails if you feel short changed. I've ordered twice from reefcleaners and was very happy. Some snails didn't make it but it looked like there were way more than I ordered. Try pooping in a hot bag of air and sending it across the country. I guarantee you it ain't gonna smell like roses, regardless of your diet. :)

I received an order same day (and weather) same city (Manhattan)....best order from them I've ever gotten. Snails were lively, large and too numerous to count.

I even wrote them a thank you email about an hour before I noticed your original complaint...

hth's

I was going to stay out of this thread, but felt I had to give my .02$ since I order from john all the time.

I've ordered from John numerous times(love his chitons, but they don't ship well) in all 4 seasons. From Florida to upstate NY and have never had an issue, and have never had them arrive in a Styrofoam box(even in winter when it gets to be below 0 for several days at a time) Of course some arrive dead, but there is always more then I ordered to make up for the deaths. Yes the bag smells of death, but I just float and drop in. Whats dead is free food for my other CUC. If your tank is cycled properly, something like a few dead snails should have 0 impact on anything else.

Like someone else posted, toss them all in, you'll be surprised when what you thought was dead is crawling around a few days later.

John is one of the few good guys in this hobby and typically goes above and beyond to help his customers. Just keep in mind next time you order to put how you would like them shipped in the comments section of your order.

Back