Reef cleaners website warning

Remy3247

Guys I'm here as a fellow reefer and want your opinion on this subject , I spent 117 dollars on clean up crew from website reef clearners , what I received on a 75 to 80 degree day when I opened box was 5 plastic bags loss in box with wet tissue no styrofoam box or anything for insulation , I lost about 25 snails in 4 days not counting what I didn't dare put in tank , to further my point I received order 2 days ago from algea barn IMG_1902.jpgIMG_1903.jpg simple pods and they where insulated and had ice pack , I posted older post and got slammed by satisfied customers , from reef cleaners , but am I wrong for being offended when I reached out to reef clearners and was told he can charge me 12 dollars for styrofoam box and 60 over all shipping in future AMD will replace losses , does alge barn or any copy I order live stock from throw money out window using styrofoam and insulation , a ups truck averages 100 degrees in storage that's not even counting being in closed box , the other thing that amazes me is if I made same order in winter for 117 it would come in styrofoam box to sum it up I call it cutting corners what do you guys think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef cleaners website warning

To my knowledge what reefcleaners sell are snails that live in intertidal pools. So they should be able to withstand large changes in temperature, salinity, etc. This is also the reason why they ask you not to drip acclimate them.

Bags smelled like death some arrived dead and lost a few after in tank just feel it's total unprofessional how it was shipped , we spend hard earned money and I have ordered snails from other company's and they do insulate the packaging so to just put it in box in summer temps is plane I professions and cutting corners at the our expense I was scared to dump what I thought was alive in my tank

Did you contact them with all of this and how that(if it smelled) that a lot of them were dead on arrival?

Yes will replaced what's lost and if I want styrofoam shipping additional 12 dollars I feel proper shipping should be in cost, cause if I ordered same package in winter it would be shipped in proper packaging for same price no corners cut for profit .

So they're willing to send you 25 snails for free? Why not just take that and see if the same issue happens again?

Sorry, but stuff happens in shipping, especially live animals. I have never dealt with that company or have any ties to it. Just responding in how I would.

It's not free but we or speaking of me , spend a lot of money on my tank and the corals and livestock I have to be asked to throw something that smells like pure death in my tank and see what happens is offensive then to be told pay extra for something that shop of been done in first place is beyond me , every company I order love stock from be it fish , corals ,snails have been properly packaged in all weather that's why we pay the prices we do so wanted to just let fellow hobbyist know there shipping practice in the summer months

That's why I posted topic so others that live in hot climate don't order or at least know what to expect

This shouldn't be a hot climate issue. It is the sellers responsibility to realize who they are selling to and compensate for that. Should be a warning to everyone IMO.

If they don't think they can send a live product to you because of heat, they should tell you. Not just send anyways. I would ask for a full refund.

This is why I never order livestock online!! One of the only bad perks that comes with it, and I'd rather pay more locally than take a chance online.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's a good idea to place snails/crabs in 2 different holding tanks when they arrive.
Live ones will start moving after a couple of days, and unless you're sure there were no fish being kept in the same system they need to be quarantined.
Sorry for the frustration, I'd just not order from them again. Thanks for sharing.

It's always been my experience that some snails will not make the trip. So i expect that. And the bags always stink when opened.
John usually throws in plenty of extras to cover a few DOA's.
Honestly, I've never counted. When they arrive, I float as instructed and then dump in the tank.
The next morning, most have recovered and moved on.
What happens to them after that I have no idea.

Reefcleaners puts extra inverts in because some won't make it. The snails they use can handle temperature extremes so styrofoam cooler is not needed. Also the snails will be dormant for a day or two.

Basically you probably got more alive snails than what you paid for, and snails you thought were dead probably were not. Some died sure, but probably not as many as you think. I think the issue here is misunderstanding.

I've ordered form reef cleaners a couples times now and have had no problems with them. John was very easy to deal with and answered all my emails promptly. My snails arrived exactly as the op's did and there was some die off. They did ship more snails than I ordered so that helped. They also had no problem refunding me the money of the dead snails. I would definitely order from them again. Sorry the op had problems with them. Maybe they have changed who's running the business?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It's always been my experience that some snails will not make the trip. So i expect that. And the bags always stink when opened.
John usually throws in plenty of extras to cover a few DOA's.
Honestly, I've never counted. When they arrive, I float as instructed and then dump in the tank.
The next morning, most have recovered and moved on.
What happens to them after that I have no idea.

Reefcleaners puts extra inverts in because some won't make it. The snails they use can handle temperature extremes so styrofoam cooler is not needed. Also the snails will be dormant for a day or two.

Basically you probably got more alive snails than what you paid for, and snails you thought were dead probably were not. Some died sure, but probably not as many as you think. I think the issue here is misunderstanding.

I've ordered form reef cleaners a couples times now and have had no problems with them. John was very easy to deal with and answered all my emails promptly. My snails arrived exactly as the op's did and there was some die off. They did ship more snails than I ordered so that helped. They also had no problem refunding me the money of the dead snails. I would definitely order from them again. Sorry the op had problems with them. Maybe they have changed who's running the business?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

This has been my experience as well. I have ordered from John numerous times from Saint Louis, San Antonio and Austin. There are always a few dead ones and more live ones than I ordered. Some I thought were dead were not dead. They are one of the few places I have bought from that has never disappointed me and I always got more than I ordered.

Dsm reefer , same person runs operation they just simply won't provide you with insulation in summer months , cause I made same order in winter and was packaged properly with insulation ,a lot of people debate snails can withstand temps etc , but I don't Belive the back of a ups truck on 80 degree day is anything less then 110 degrees, not counting what they went threw to get to you , just don't think it's right to not ship them properly , I don't have luxury of quarantine tank so to just throw them in tank and see what makes it wasn't a choice , live aquaria sent me clean up crew , while more expensive I received it today and it was in styrofoam box with ice pack and temps today in ny was 80 , when opened they did not smell like death or sewage .

Back