Reef Crystals....... $31.99 / 160g bucket

I don't think anyone here thinks they are "cheating" DFS. These were their normal prices about a year ago. Their prices went up probably due to the doubling of gas prices (and hence shipping ... I'm sure their deal with FedEx/UPS is a lot different than the flat rates we pay).

This "website mistake" is about as mistake-y as "New Coke" was. I'll bet sales of coke skyrocketed when they came out with New Coke and everyone thought they better stock up on Old Coke.

DFS has almost always had the best deal on shipped salt, this little sale probably shows them that we love to buy salt at 31 bucks and really hate buying it at 44... so they can judge "what the market will bear".

Even if it was a true mistake, I'll be they sold more salt now than when the regular price was 31 bucks.

V

Same can be said for gas or anything else. I would guess that gas stations are selling more gas at $2.00/gal now (coming down from $4), than when it came up from $1. Simple economics. Demand goes up, price goes up, price goes up, demand goes down, demand goes down, price goes down.

America reached the point at which it stopped buying gas, so prices dipped.

Sad part is that supply really doesn't fall anywhere into the equations with gas or salt :) There's plenty of salt and plenty of oil for everybody, but the producers of said commodities don't want you to know that.

It's totally demand driven. They know we'll pay for it, so they drive the prices up until we no longer do, then they dip the prices a bit to make us think we're getting a deal, when really, we're still paying 25% more than we used to, or in the case of gas, 100% more. In the 9 years I've been a legal driver, gas has inflated 100%, actually 400% and then declined by 200%.

I always get this message. "We're sorry, but the coupon code you entered has expired or it was not recognized"

Should I just keep going thru the checkout procedure and it will give me the discount?

You do not enter it in the coupon box. You have to enter it in the search box. It is not a "code" it is actually the item number from the catelog. Just paste it in the search bar on the drs. foster and smith website.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14674351#post14674351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrSpiffy
I'm with noahm on this one... Just because the code still works doesn't mean that it's not expired and shouldn't work. Don't be surprised if they check all of these orders and cancel them due to an old code.

No one feels the least bit guilty using that code..? :rolleyes:

I think it's been well documented in the thread that the code is not a code and is not expired. It's just the item number from the catalog. If you get the monthly catalog from DFS, it says plain as day on the back of the mag how long the catalog prices are good for. The mag with the 31.99 salt says prices good through 4/30/09.

There's no guilt to be had. It's a catalog sale. Plain and simple. The catalog is free to anyone that wants it, so nobody is scamming anybody, except maybe DFS by making us all feel like we're getting a deal by selling us salt for exactly what it cost us a year ago :).

I called and talked to Fosters and Smith about the code and was told that its good till April.. I ordered 6 buckets of reef crystals yesterday and have receved a conformation that they have were shipped out today.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14673443#post14673443 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dcombs44
You do not enter it in the coupon box. You have to enter it in the search box. It is not a "code" it is actually the item number from the catelog. Just paste it in the search bar on the drs. foster and smith website.

Got it! Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14704034#post14704034 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hawkfishman
reef crystals suck! bio-sea or marine enviorment all the way!

Wow, thanks for the advice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back