Reef Savvy vs. Glasscages tank price, not much difference

mapn4reef

OK, I just found this to be VERY interesting for folks who might think they are saving a lot by going with GC.

I just priced a GC tank 120g rimless 48x24x24 with starphire 3 sides, overflow, acrylic O/F cover, etc.

The Reef Savvy tank I just ordered 48x28x20 rimless (116g) with opti-white 3 sides, black back, black silicon, RS Glass-Holes 1500 O/F, etc.

The RS tank turned out to be only $115 more than the GC. (Now, I must say, I am uncertain of the GC glass thickness since this tank is 24" tall so it might be 3/4", but I doubt it, and more likely the 1/2" I would figure.)

Just FYI...

My small frag tank I got from them was a 24x25x8 and it's glass is thick.........I am not sure how much though I might just have to measure it. I know it is heavy and my small qt tank I got takes two people to move it.

I would bet Reef Savvy uses 5/8" on 24" tall. I believe that's what is on Rick's tank.

Ocea used 3/8" on Bill's tank, but it bows a bit.

When I checked prices on a 60g cube from Reef Savvy, it was significantly more than Glass Cages. I think the craftsmanship is probably worth it, but I just can't afford to pay twice as much right now. I'll grab a Reef Savvy tank later when we get out of an apartment, though. :)

Brandon

Nope, talked to Felix about going above 20" on a rimless, 3/4" is what he uses, and it significantly increases the price. I believe Rick's is 1/2", and an exception to the rule, as he assured Felix of his stand construction...think Ricks tank is 22" tall. Anthony's Ocea Rimless (Rhett's old tank) appeared to be 1/2", maybe not though. We confirmed the sump thickness and it is 3/8" and the tank looked thicker...

Depends on what you're getting I guess from GC...but I got as close to my tank as possible on their website, and it was only $115 less than the RS. Which I could change from the RS 1500 overflow to a traditional box, and I think it would make the price about the same, for nearly the same spec tank...

Based on my personal experience of dealing with Felix (customer service A+), his reputation, quality of the tanks I've seen from him, Rick's referrence...vs. my experience with GC, tanks I've seen from them, and their reputation...I'd pay twice as much probably, but apparently I'm not going to have to.

I was just REALLY shocked when I priced the tank from them, I expected at least a $400 or so difference, just not the case...

Good deal on the 3/4".

When Rick got a quote for just the glass from GC, it was only $200 from having Felix completely build him a tank. :)

I simply can't pay $700 for a tank right now. $300 I can swing, though. :)

Plus shipping... did you get a quote on shipping? Or are you picking it up?

Brandon

both the tanks that me and Jennifier615 just bought form GS is 1/2in thick. And like she said they are heavy!

One area that any company beats GCs in is customer service. I will NEVER deal with GCs again. The owner was rude and disrespectful when his company was the one at fault.

I will not go into specfics because it doesn't matter, what does is the way I was treated and there were two other members of NTRC with me and they have both said they will never go there again either. Buyer beware when dealing with that company.

Fcamdog A.K.A. Fidel

Brandon...shipping is around $500 for this size tank (as of last June, fuel costs may have caused an increase as of lately), curb side, however that includes approx $170 crate fee. I'll be on vacation down there, so I'm picking it up.

Not really trying to dog talk GC too much here, just trying to focus on the similar price for an apples (Royal Gala) to apples (crab apple perhaps) spec tank...

very true.. but even though you are actually able to go get your tank, shipping can be a factor in the total equation. I deal with shipping 200-800lb stoves every day. I can ship a 425 lb stove across the country for about $200

Not only weight comes into the factor...but dimensions, and fragile as well, also insurance on the value of the item.

Unless you want a custom tank, then major box brands are the way to go. AC used to be able to get DSA tanks, which I think are some of the best production quality you will see, but I understand they don't distribute to this region any longer...

One area that any company beats GCs in is customer service. I will NEVER deal with GCs again. The owner was rude and disrespectful when his company was the one at fault.

I will not go into specfics because it doesn't matter, what does is the way I was treated and there were two other members of NTRC with me and they have both said they will never go there again either. Buyer beware when dealing with that company.

Fcamdog A.K.A. Fidel

Good to know.

I have a glasscages tank. They are very nice to you when you are looking as soon as you buy a tank and leave you are forgotten about. The tank I bought is nice for the price. You will have to clean silicone off of the inside of the tank. It was a sloppy silicone job.

+1 to Fcamdog's experience. Plus I have seen a number of their ants fail..seems like luck of the draw with them, and sloppy seam work. Great when your looking, and too bad if there is a problem.

I have a Reef Savvy tank and couldn't he happier. Very good quality and customer service was excellent. Felix personally talked with me for over an hour.

Does Reef Savvy have a website or do you just contact them with specs and they price it out? I searched but did not see one.

Back