Reeflo setup

Mitch, there are several reasons why this method is safer, for once, it keeps the integrity of the glass pane.
There is no need to drill the glass thus avoids any chances of cracking it period. If it breaks you replace it. A 29G sump is not expensive.
It eliminates the chance of a leaky bulkhead, trust me this happens more often than I wish and when it happens in a sump is a royal PIA. Come on, we use bulkheads everywhere.
Depending on the thickness of the glass it is very easy to crack the glass at the bulkhead when moving the pump just a half inch in any direction while changing, servicing or simply as an accident. You get another sump.
Finally the Sequence reeflo pumps use large intakes from 1.5" to 2" this mean that you will need to drill a very large hole near the bottom of the glass from 2 5/8" to 3 1/4", it is practically impossible to align the pump with the hole opening so you are force to elevate the pump with pieces of foam or wood. So yuo elevate or get another sump.

Sorry Rogger. I disagree as mention above.

Siphon systems are much less reliable than direct connect to external pumps.

Mrx can a existing hole be drilled bigger?? If so I need a hole drilled. I think I am going to drill it up. I don't want to have to install another pump to keep it primed. Can you pm your contact so we can set something up. Thanks

Yes we can make an existing hole bigger, I have the tools....pm sent

Bulkheads don't usually leak unless they are disturbed in some way, we all have a bunch of them on all our tanks, if they are unreliable, were all in trouble..

Bulkheads don't usually leak unless they are disturbed in some way, we all have a bunch of them on all our tanks, if they are unreliable, were all in trouble..
Mitch, I never said unreliable, I am happy you haven't experience leaky bulkhead yet, but trust me sooner or later you will.
You are right normally bulkheads won't leak unless they are disturb, unfortunately disturbing does happens in this hobby. Pump vibration also cause bulkheads rings to get loose.
Don't take me wrong, I am not against BH I use them and think that there are applications that you can't replace them, I simply answered the question posted originally on this thread based on my pass experience.

No need to be sorry, Have you done one like the one I described?

Depends on your circumstances, As Mitch mentioned above you could use a a strong power head or a submersible pump and force water in the input while turning on the pump that you want to prime.
Depending of your design you may need to do this every time you turn your pump off, for example if your pump is installed higher than your water line or on a incline, this will drain the pump back to the sump every time.
With the over the top method the rise pipe always remains with water so you never have to prime it again.

No I have not for the very reasone that I see mentioned above. There is MUCH that can go wrong in that set up.

You either go submersible pump or external, period. All else brings a multitude of variables that are beyond anyones control which= PROBLEMO.

AND- Either straight methods work well depending on tank size: in sump or external. Why play with anything else. All else increases risk for failure! Bulk head failure is known to happen, but considering the amount of successful bulkheads, failure of them is statistically insignificant.

Rogger- You know I love ya, dont hate me for disagreeing.

Last edited:
Eddie,I could never hate anyone that disagreed with me due to their experience in similar situations, in fact I am always willing to learn from them, however, this doesn't seem to be your case. You have no experience doing this but just fear that it may not work.
I specified that you ONLY need a pump to prime another pump when your application requires that you install the pump above (ARRIVA) the sump, this is not this guys case if you see the diagram he posted at the beginning of the thread.
I am answering Jonnyu's original question "can I install this reeflo hammerhead pump this way?" the answer is absolutely positively yes! and I can say that because I have done it several times and it works flawlesly and I believe that is safer than having to drill a bigger hole on an existing opening.
Like I told Mitch, I don't disagreed with bulk heads, I think they are indispensable in a few places in the tank for example the overflow box, I also would never advocate the use of them in the bottom of a tank like many people does for close loops and return lines.

Then I must be misunderstanding johnny u's diagram.

The way I interpret it he is feeding an external return pump with an insump pump. IMHO thats inefficient. If the in sump pump fails, the return pump runs dry. If thats not what you guys are talking about then i concede to 10 lashes with a wet noodle. :lolspin:

Then I must be misunderstanding johnny u's diagram.

The way I interpret it he is feeding an external return pump with an insump pump. IMHO thats inefficient. If the in sump pump fails, the return pump runs dry. If thats not what you guys are talking about then i concede to 10 lashes with a wet noodle. :lolspin:

No sweat, I figure you probably speed read it, However I am pretty sure Bobby would take the opportunity to give you the wet noodle whipping!

Well no hole drilling for me. Me and bulkhead fittings don't get a long. Also cracking a sump is not a option for me I don't want to take a risk breaking anything. Now here are some pics of my build.
32808085-1dc3-cf32.jpg
32808085-1dde-4b00.jpg
32808085-1e08-c5cd.jpg
32808085-1e29-bd25.jpg
32808085-1e41-b61c.jpg

It's slowly coming together. No more noise inside the house .

Back