Refracdtometer - Yes you need one.

Jason82

I would just like to confirm to anyone who is starting a new Reef Tank and thinks they don't need a Refractometer... Yes you do. For some reason, it is in my nature to challenge things that others say, or to discount information, so when I saw advice in the forum that suggested my hydrometer was not going to be an accurate measure of salinity, I discounted it.

Well, I broke down and bought a refractometer and was I ever shocked. I have been slowly trying to get my salinity up from 1.024. This was my hydrometer reading. Was I ever shocked to find out that my salinity was. actually 1.030!

They are not that expensive. just get it now and save yourself the heartache.

More humble, More wise, still learning.

I used my refractometer to calibrate my 3 swing arm hydrometers when I got it (after nearly 20 years of Reefing). One was a Couple points low another a couple points high, the other pretty close. They donā€™t budge if you use them properly. The refractometer shifts a little and needs the be recalibrated periodically.

IMHO , either is perfectly fine within their limitations.

Not so much calibrating, but taking note of the difference between the reading of said hydrometer and a properly calibrated rrefractometer.

Looks cool. It took me this long to buy a $17 refractometer. When do you think I'll give that a go? :beer:

how do you calibrate a swing arm hydrometer ?

Simple, really.

You test a known sample of 1.026 water with your properly calibrated refractometer to ensure that it is, indeed, 1.026. Then test the same sample using the hydrometer. Mark on the hydrometer where the arm points to. You now have a hydrometer that will never stray from 1.026 when used properly.

I keep one by the DT, the FT, and the mixing station. quick, simple, and easy.

Once calibrated to a known source, I do use both, if I don't get the same result, back to calibration of a known source. It's the speed of change in salinity which PO's corals not as much what your keeping it at, provided your in the ballpark.

Once calibrated to a known source, I do use both, if I don't get the same result, back to calibration of a known source. It's the speed of change in salinity which PO's corals not as much what your keeping it at, provided your in the ballpark.

^^^Yes^^^

IMHO, people tend to get obsessed with a specific number be it salinity/NO3/PO4/Ca/Alk/Mg. As long as the numbers are relatively stable there is a acceptable range on all of them.

What's a good proven solution to calibrate a refractometer?

Pre-mix calibration solution I trust to calibrate my refractometer enough for just being in the ball park. My water has come back at 1.026 for years now as measured with the refractometer, had the swing arm give me two points off (1.024) for several tests over a month, then return right back to 1.026. The arms I trust less.

For me, as long as your above 1.024 but below 1.031 ( highest I ever got to)
Just keep it there, day in and day out! Corals are slow to adjust, BUT, will provided changes are slow and only when nesssary.

Fish look great, corals look great, must assume the salinity is correct. Whatever number this comes back at 99% of the time is my salinity.

Last edited:
Back