Refugium Mud Trick

Morbeus

I was considering adding Miracle Mud to my sump/refugium in the dedicated refugium section and either leaving it a mud only with LR and macro algae or adding a thin layer of reef sand on top of it. I wanted to add pods to it as well hoping that they will multiply and add a natural food source to my DT but I wanted to see if any of you know a trick to adding it without clouding up everything. I am not necessarily married to the idea of the mud and have read threads about the mud really being garden variety dirt and loaded with quartz and not being a benefit at all however I have also read that some reefers believe that it had a positive impact on their corals and they we glad to have added it due to increased trace elements, increased pod propagation, etc.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has actually used it and whether they were pleased with its addition to their system or can shed some light on the trick to adding it to minimize collateral damage (ie. cloudiness, making a mess, etc.).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OaLqox-1fIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have it in my refugium in my sump. It is very dusty/dirty but do not rinse it. You will have to stop all circulation going to and in the sump. You will have to add a scope at a time using w/e you want to slowly scope it with and pour it in slowly. You will need several hours for it to settle, and then you can turn pumps back on. I recommended blocking the other sump sections off so that it doesn't spill into other chambers. That's how I added it to my system, but I added before there was anything in the tank (except water), so I could easily leave the system off overnight for it to settle.

Thanks for the posts. The bricks the guy used in the video were kind of small. Maybe I could use a cookie (Oreo type) container and try it that way because such a container would close to fit the bottom and still be removable if I am not too keen on it.

The scope idea sounds good but I would rather not keep pumps off overnight even though all I have is LR. Without pumps LR can begin to smell sulphuric but not sure if 8 hrs will trigger anything funky that quick.

I have an Acqueon ProFlex Model 4 and the refugium wall is all the way up. So the DT drains into the first section which flows into the fuge and then into the skimmer & return section. With the wall up the flow only glides across the top of the fuge so it may not stir up a lot of mud when on but I would still turn everything temporarily off if I use the brick method.

Any other ideas :idea:? Surely there are more RC guys/girls who have tried mud......

Back