More help needed for this newbie...

Kathleen ER

Hi All,

Perhaps I bit off more than I can chew...ugh! Here is my story.
Bought a BioCube 32. Got it up and running, added clown fish x2, then seahorse, then pajama cardinals x3. In that order but now closely together. Male seahorse (common lined) was thriving. Added one female with him but she died next day. Added another female few weeks later but she did not even make it out of the bag. Now 3 more weeks later added another seahorse. She lived for one night.
Now all of the fish look sluggish and won't eat. The pump flow has decreased and I am so afraid I will lose my seahorse who was doing so well. I had put a plant in front of the intake because I was afraid the little female horse would get stuck. I have moved it now. I have a saltwater test kit and everything is fine. I did remove some of the gunk from the sand with my siphon and added more water.
What am i doing wrong. I do know one thing...I have not been using a quarantine take so i have to make sure i get one...

Please help. How do i increase the flow again. it was perfect. the water was clear and my seahorse loved it.
Thx...Kathleen

Hi All,

Perhaps I bit off more than I can chew...ugh! Here is my story.
Bought a BioCube 32. Got it up and running, added clown fish x2, then seahorse, then pajama cardinals x3. In that order but now closely together. Male seahorse (common lined) was thriving. Added one female with him but she died next day. Added another female few weeks later but she did not even make it out of the bag. Now 3 more weeks later added another seahorse. She lived for one night.
Now all of the fish look sluggish and won't eat. The pump flow has decreased and I am so afraid I will lose my seahorse who was doing so well. I had put a plant in front of the intake because I was afraid the little female horse would get stuck. I have moved it now. I have a saltwater test kit and everything is fine. I did remove some of the gunk from the sand with my siphon and added more water.
What am i doing wrong. I do know one thing...I have not been using a quarantine take so i have to make sure i get one...

Please help. How do i increase the flow again. it was perfect. the water was clear and my seahorse loved it.
Thx...Kathleen
Sounds like elevated ammonia. Was the tank cycled before adding the fish?

I've never kept seahorses but I'll attach a guide I had from somewhere.

Attachments

• SeahorseFactsAndInfo.pdf
    710.1 KB · Views: 10
That article is very good. Pay close attention to what it says about temperature. I'll tag the person that did this thread so she may be able to help you. @vlangel

Oh yes...checked all the levels. Have had fish in it for a couple of months now.
Hi Kathleen, I hope everything is going well for you and your tank. Sorry that I did not see this sooner but my hubby retired this past summer and we are buddying around a lot and so just haven't been on the forum as much.

Seahorses are tricky. They are so prone to bacterial infections and I had the most success with them when I kept them in a specie specific tank with the temperature at 74-70 degrees. Feeding only gut loaded grass shrimp also helps cut down on bacterial infections plus it keeps the ponies engaged and active. I hope this helps.

Back