Regal Angel Primer

After 20 years of wanting to keep these, after reading everthing i could find about these, including this thread, i finally got a pair.

One 9 cm fish is with short spines and a 11 cm fish with longer spines. Both were placed in a 400 l qt separated with eggcrate. With liverock and flowerpots. Mollies as tankmates to try to get them on dryfood.

They got a formaldehyde dip and were dewormed with flubenol.

The male took clams, oysters and masstick dry 'gel' food immediately.
The female now for 2 weeks still nothing.
I moved the eggcrate so i thought the female could learn from the male.

So far i tried:
Clams
Oysters
Squid
Shrimp
Krill
Mysis
Silversides
Fish and lobster eggs
Grindal and enchytrae
Night crawlers
Live ulva
Nori
Banana
Cucumber
5 types of ON flakes and pellets
Masstick

One nip from her on Masstick after i placed it in the exact spot as a sponge was on the LR. One nip on banana and cucumber.

So if by this weekend she does not eat i ll drive tonthe coast to get some sponges.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) met Tapatalk

I dewormed because this was hanging out of the female and she was flicking het ventrals and dorsal fin
4c4f395c667b809aa4d83d8e18a7ccee.jpg

I had a female redsea regal once that took almost 4 weeks and a juvenile Chrysurus that did take a month to get to eat. Both where fat when I received them, and ate well after. Mine love LRS, not sure if they would ship to Belgium? LRS does ship all over the world.

I had a female redsea regal once that took almost 4 weeks and a juvenile Chrysurus that did take a month to get to eat. Both where fat when I received them, and ate well after. Mine love LRS, not sure if they would ship to Belgium? LRS does ship all over the world.
Ok so there is still hope.

I ll go and collect some halichondria apparently these have been used succesfully with Zanclus.

LRS seems good food, but i guess the shipping will cost a lot.

She was always pecking at the rocks, but never took food.

Now she finally eats but only this gel food and artemia.

Just did an 80% waterchange.

Tomorrow second dose of flubenol.

Well to resurrect this thread. I am trying again.

Had my LFS order me in one, it was DOA. Ordered another and that one didn't make it through the first night. Finally, the very next day my LFS called and said "you're going to like the one we have today"

They sent me some photos and videos of her, and it's a Red Sea Misbar. The owner of the LFS is a good friend of mine, so I had him give her a dip in Prazi and she's currently sitting in Hypo. She's fat and eating, hopefully this is a good sign. She'll probably grow out of the misbar, but maybe i'll get lucky!

edWkBbbl.jpg

sJZfCw8l.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cdIKP2HaQ00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well - This won't mean anything to my family, but it will to you all! He's still in hypo and still in eating. He comes home tomorrow and into the display tank. No signs of ich and has been dipped......I hope for the best.

IMO Any Regal should go onto a QT if possible. Not just for parasite treatment and observation, but to condition it to the foods you will be feeding as well. The Regal is a very passive & slow eater and will get bullied away from the feeding areas by even a smallest fish at first. I would recommend fattening it up for a couple weeks in a QT and doing a second Prozi. treatment before going into a stocked DT. The Regal Angelfish is such a beauty that we need to give it the best odds on surviving....Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to all the new Regal owner.

Small update. He's exploring the DT quite a bit. Still runs and hides when someone walks by, but he's definitely exploring more. He's picking at the rocks and walls consistently. He hasn't eaten prepared food yet, which sadly, I believe is because as soon as I lift the mesh lid, he runs and hides. I am trying to condition him to my presence and then I think he'll take food like a champ. He was definitely eating PE myesis in the store.

I have a juvenile regal which still has its false eye on the top rear dorsal. Beautiful lovely fish. Was a gamble that the other angels - large adult blue ring and koran would take umbridge at its presence but all seem very placid towards the regal. It picks at live rock all day and goes for most foods. None of the other fish hassle it either. It loves the nooks and spends a fair bit of time inside the bommies. Definitely a gorgeous fish to keep!

Back