Regal Angel Primer

Do you have a reasonable sump or refugium? Consider keep him in in there until he eat aggressively. Add flake food together with the other food. All of mine seem to like flake food much better than frozen. Consider adding some small fish that is aggressively eating, especially flakes, to teach and entice him to eat. I keep multiple pairs of clowns. Clownfish is what I use to get my Regal to eat in my QT, which is a 30 gal reeftank.

attachment.php

Attachments

• BabyRegalYellowChested2017031501_edited-1.jpg
    BabyRegalYellowChested2017031501_edited-1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1
Regal made it through TTM and now in fully cycled QT.
Not feeding as well as I had hoped, but he does eat shrimp, clams and Nori. He picks at frozen.
He also seems a little shy which may be an issue when I want to get him in the 350. Suggestions for acclimation?

Try putting some pellets or flakes in some clam juice (I just opened a live little neck and sprinkled flake and pellet on top) for a bit and then put in the tank. The fish may then get a taste for it and after a few feedings try dropping the pellets or flakes in without a presoak. For what it's worth, mine loves nls pellets the most and rushes out as soon as they hit the water. Everything else he is very slow about eating.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2
OrionN - he is in a 40b with a pair of maroons that live there, they eat everything. Hopefully they can teach him its OK to eat the flakes.
Reef908 - That's a good idea since he loves clams. I'll give that a try!

Maroons maybe to aggressive and territorial and will/may really bother the Regal. I do not recommend this, unless the Maroons are really small.

New Regal eating and socializing well

New Regal eating and socializing well

Luckily we didn't lose power where I am at in Houston during Harvey. It's been over a week since introducing the 4" regal to my main tank. Getting along weil with all the other fish, eating well, hasn't discovered how tasty zoanthids and clams are yet. The regal came from s http://www.thereefcorner.com/ and the scribbled from Diver's Den which is about 2 inches. The scribbled has been in the tank over a month now.

See video at https://youtu.be/EbeEdp4ijLM

Unfortunately the smaller one of my (former) Sumatra Regal pair died (together with my BSJ pair) in this weekend's record heatwave. 33 °C water temperature was just too much in a well covered jawfish tank. And Unfortunately I was away and not able to limit the heat up of the tank(s).

Another loss was the single Starcki damsel male in my 42 gallon tank. However, all the other fish in that tank did quite well despite that tank also hitting 33 °C. I guess the feisty little Bali Regal there stressed him to much to handle the heat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately the smaller one of my (former) Sumatra Regal pair died (together with my BSJ pair) in this weekend's record heatwave. 33 °C water temperature was just too much in a well covered jawfish tank. And Unfortunately I was away and not able to limit the heat up of the tank(s).

Another loss was the single Starcki damsel male in my 42 gallon tank. However, all the other fish in that tank did quite well despite that tank also hitting 33 °C. I guess the feisty little Bali Regal there stressed him to much to handle the heat.

So I received two YBR about 3 weeks ago. One from NYA and one from LA two days apart. I kept one in my fuge and one in a large acclimation box in the display. The one from NYA started to eat clam on half shell in the fuge after about 3 days. The LA one started to eat pretty much out of the bag. I was really surprised. After both of them have eaten clams on the half shell pretty reliably, I place both of them in the holding tank(liverocks with some LPS) and got them to eat LRS and live blackworms pretty aggressively.
They're both in the display for about a week now. Eating with the rest of the fish. The one from NYA is more yellow and is loving nori on the clip but ignores flakes. The one from LA eats everything. Together I have 3 regals. The smallest one was from LA back when they had the Juveniles and was on sale.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture1.jpg
    Capture1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Capture4.jpg
    Capture4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1
So I received two YBR about 3 weeks ago. One from NYA and one from LA two days apart. I kept one in my fuge and one in a large acclimation box in the display. The one from NYA started to eat clam on half shell in the fuge after about 3 days. The LA one started to eat pretty much out of the bag. I was really surprised. After both of them have eaten clams on the half shell pretty reliably, I place both of them in the holding tank(liverocks with some LPS) and got them to eat LRS and live blackworms pretty aggressively.
They're both in the display for about a week now. Eating with the rest of the fish. The one from NYA is more yellow and is loving nori on the clip but ignores flakes. The one from LA eats everything. Together I have 3 regals. The smallest one was from LA back when they had the Juveniles and was on sale.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Impressive collection. Love the green gig.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
How big is that tank?

Clownfish is what I use to get my Regal to eat in my QT, which is a 30 gal reeftank.

Interesting idea regarding isolation in sump / refuge with a fish that eats flakes. Quick question (maybe I missed the dialog) but in a thread above you mentioned you didn't QT then here you say QT. Do you QT or not or based on fish type?

Typically I do not, I don't have room for a second tank. In most cases it has balanced out and no issues. One time I did run into a issue and it caused some trouble and I lost a few fish. Then again most of my fish are not very costly - not that that makes any difference I guess. Was just wondering because the one thread I read above I thought you said no QT then in this one you mentioned you did.

Apologies.

I come to think that you need to have other large fish in the tank to make pairs of large angels work.

The powder brown and sailfin tangs are the largest fish in the tank coming in at 5". The two larger regals are about 4" and the smaller one is about 3". One of the 4" is the most dominant. If it doesn't like it, the other two cannot go near it. I have not seen any sign of chasing or biting between the 3 regals. I also have a pair of Interrupta and they do not care for the regals and vice versa. I do have to watch the 5 yellow tangs though as they grow. They were bought from LA during the super sale and were 1"-2". Now they're more like 3"+.

My Sumatra Regal pair got along for well over a year. The most that happened were some occasional short chases.
But then, about 3 months ago, the chases got more vicious. And while I was gone on 2 week trip, less than a week after I left things got ugly and the tank sitter had to remove the smaller one.

Here's my trio of regals having some nori.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SfuKCZIVvms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back