Regal Angel Primer

My Regal was feeding well and settled quickly with no issues. I spotted another good specimen so.....

87F9BB64-B932-4D5E-8F9F-176E704189EB.jpg

Would you guys recommend getting one from saltwaterfish.com? It's yellow belly and comes with a 15 day guarantee. Or get a true red sea regal from new york aquatic with only a guarantee of it arriving alive (and supposedly all regals are eating before he will sell them)?

Just to update again! I came home with some LRS food and a Sponge. He is happily nipping at the sponge and the first time I put LRS in, he went nuts eating everything he could. Wouldn't grab anything from the water column yet, but was all over the bigger hunks that landed on the bottom. Something he grabbed he was even swimming around with!

25592116_10101780195695921_3257910635505746050_n.jpg

Would you guys recommend getting one from saltwaterfish.com? It's yellow belly and comes with a 15 day guarantee. Or get a true red sea regal from new york aquatic with only a guarantee of it arriving alive (and supposedly all regals are eating before he will sell them)?

Always go with the longer guarantee with these.

maybe the start of some bacterial issue.. try some metro with Furan2 and Kanaplax. Worked well for me on my angels.

Well. Today was the day.....

Today, for the first time, I saw him actively chasing frozen food around the tank when I fed Brine this morning. He grabbed several from the water column, but his main method was to corner them on the bottom of the tank and eat them that way. It's been a battle getting him to eat anything other than Collared Greens and Clam on a Half Shell!

Well decided to join the party and bought a 4" true red sea regal from NYAquatics. I have heard a lot good things about that place and my 125G was setup for months and ready to go. Today marks one week and the fish still hides most of the day even when there is no one in the room ( I have a camera setup monitoring the tank so I know ). I have tried hikari mysis, cobalt mysis, LRS reef frenzy, hikari angel formula, clam, oyster, mussels on half shell but he is not interested in any of those. I am wondering how long it took your angel to come out of hidings?

It really depends, mine hides from time to time but knows me, so if I startle him he hides but otherwise he is very curious and comes right out to see if I have food.
When I first got him he would hide for almost anything but was eating out of the bag. Bought mine at about 2.5" he has grown about half an inch but stillbhas his eye spot. Hang in there, hopefully no stress for him in that tank?
Mine eats mostly nls pellets and mysis, small only, does not like giant pe mysis.also try black worms if you can find them

Well decided to join the party and bought a 4" true red sea regal from NYAquatics. I have heard a lot good things about that place and my 125G was setup for months and ready to go. Today marks one week and the fish still hides most of the day even when there is no one in the room ( I have a camera setup monitoring the tank so I know ). I have tried hikari mysis, cobalt mysis, LRS reef frenzy, hikari angel formula, clam, oyster, mussels on half shell but he is not interested in any of those. I am wondering how long it took your angel to come out of hidings?

Is he picking at your live rock? Mine was skittish but always picking at rocks. I always have live sponges mix my aquarium. Anyone picking on your regal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what's a good source of sponge? I have to buy them in little cubes from the Angel Mix.. sometimes I buy a whole fan sponge to supplement. looking for a cheaper option

It really depends, mine hides from time to time but knows me, so if I startle him he hides but otherwise he is very curious and comes right out to see if I have food.

When I first got him he would hide for almost anything but was eating out of the bag. Bought mine at about 2.5" he has grown about half an inch but stillbhas his eye spot. Hang in there, hopefully no stress for him in that tank?

Mine eats mostly nls pellets and mysis, small only, does not like giant pe mysis.also try black worms if you can find them

Thank you for sharing.
The other two fish in the tank are both less than two inches and juveniles. I don't think anything is stressing the fish out. But he just hides behind the rocks 23hours 59 minutes a day. I really have no opportunity to get any food in front of him which really worries me.

Is he picking at your live rock? Mine was skittish but always picking at rocks. I always have live sponges mix my aquarium. Anyone picking on your regal?

No. Which is why I am worried. I think the regal maybe too big already. I bought a 4" one but I think it is over 5" which makes it even harder to adapt to the new environment. The good thing is he's still fat and in fairly good shape so maybe I still have a few days to wait. Fingers crossed.

what's a good source of sponge? I have to buy them in little cubes from the Angel Mix.. sometimes I buy a whole fan sponge to supplement. looking for a cheaper option

Live-plants.com has some tree, ball and another type! Wish there were more companies selling larger sponges

No. Which is why I am worried. I think the regal maybe too big already. I bought a 4" one but I think it is over 5" which makes it even harder to adapt to the new environment. The good thing is he's still fat and in fairly good shape so maybe I still have a few days to wait. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed. Try some clams on the half shell or buy live littleneck clams at the market. May pique his interest. None of mine touch blackworms at first

It may help if you turn off filters and water current and for a while and drop some clam or mysis shrimp in the area that your Regal is hiding. The smells will intensify and hopefully get it to start eating. If no interest, I remove most of the uneaten food and try again later. Keep an eye on your water quality. A lot of uneaten food can cause more problems.

I got mine to eat with a freshly shucked clam in a qt tank. One he got a taste of that he ate everything I put in. Mine did come from NY aquatic also and did have flukes. I dosed prazi and then he was acting more adventurous and started eating. I've had him one year now and I don't see any noticeable growth length wise but he eats like a champ in a tank with some aggressive tangs and is nice and fat and always out and about. Good luck!

I have had a 4" regal in a 125g 2X2X4 for about 7 months now. Have you tried putting Nori rubber band to a rock not too far from his hiding place.? That's how I got mine started he goes crazy on it. You can keep rotating a fresh piece every 8 hrs or so. Possibly he'll see tank mates pecking and get the idea.

Good Luck!

Back