Regal Angel Primer

My little one from LA is doing pretty well. Got it in on Tuesday and put it in a 30 gal former seahorse tank as a QT. Tank has quite a bit of algae due to the messy seahorses. It’s picking at the rocks quite a bit. Eating fresh clam a little. Looks like it wants to grab mysis and flake but always turns away at the last second.

That is the million dollar question. The two I have in my 180 have not grown much at all in a year except in thickness. The one I added to my 65 office tank almost doubled in size in 8 months. The last picture was when he made the great trip to Austin and Ty Farmer
Alton,
Do you think it is a dominant/subordinate thing?
Dominant fish will grow but if there are fishes that the Regal being dominated by they the Regal will not growth as fast?

I think you have something with that answer. My regals in my larger tanks always had a Blueface or Imperator angel that was larger and they grew at a very slow rate. That is why I was amazed when the little guy in my office grew so well and had to be re-homed so fast. He went from being so much smaller than the Golden's to larger than them. Plus since I sit next to this tank 5 days a week almost 12 hours a day he was fed 4 to 6 times a day and that might of had something to do with it also.

I made a big stupid mistake and killed the small Regal and the majestic. The bigger Regal isn't doing well either. He went into hiding and stopped eating this morning.
I bought some sponge online and it took three days to get here. After I opened the bags I smelled something weird but I thought it was normal for sponges so I dumped them into the tank anyway. That was last night around 8 and this morning I woke up with two dead angels. The tank water smelled bad and the sponges turned white-ish so I pulled them out and did a 50% water change. After I pulled the sponges out I realized how bad they really smelled. It is a lot like decaying waste ammonia smell. I am going to stick with frozen food from now on. This is a heart breaking lesson for me. Very very sad....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what killed your fish? An ammonia spike from the sponges? Did you test your water to see what the levels were? How big were the sponges and how large is your tank? What kind of biological filtration do you have in your tank?

I think you have something with that answer. My regals in my larger tanks always had a Blueface or Imperator angel that was larger and they grew at a very slow rate. That is why I was amazed when the little guy in my office grew so well and had to be re-homed so fast. He went from being so much smaller than the Golden's to larger than them. Plus since I sit next to this tank 5 days a week almost 12 hours a day he was fed 4 to 6 times a day and that might of had something to do with it also.
I think Golden angels are such timid angels. Obviously you feed them a lot too.

I think Golden angels are such timid angels. Obviously you feed them a lot too.

Well I lost one of two so I moved the second to my home to my QT tank for time being while I decide to either place it in my 180 where I may never see him again or find someone that really wants him? The one I lost was always out and about, this one very seldom left the comfort of the rocks. And my wife may kill me if I set up another tank

So what killed your fish? An ammonia spike from the sponges? Did you test your water to see what the levels were? How big were the sponges and how large is your tank? What kind of biological filtration do you have in your tank?

I did test the water and it showed a 0.02 ammonia. The tank is a 125G with live rock and fully cycled for months. I am not sure if ammonia was the cause but the water smelled really bad. That's why I did a big water change and changed the carbon. The sponges I took out of the tank smelled absolutely horrible. It was like a toilet that has not been flushed for a week. Now I am really worried about the bigger Regal that is still alive because he has been hiding a lot today and hasn't been eating. I just feel like such a fool now...
I am so afraid that I am going to wake up tomorrow seeing more dead fish. I don't know how much damage has been done to the little lives in the tank.
On a side note the juvenile small goldflake angel is still doing great, eating like a champ but I heard they are hardier than other angels so maybe that's why.

Robert sorry you lost your angels, years ago I wanted a Rock Beauty Angel and I had heard they need sponges so I ordered one from KP Aquatics before it was KP along with a couple of sponges. The fish ate mysis the second day and never touched the sponges.

Here is a better view of the 2 juveniles from LA that I received a few days ago. Seem to like to nibble on everything but never quite sure they are actually swallowing anything. One of the two has decided to start bossing around the other one as of today.

https://youtu.be/koRTY0F7oE4

Just another sad update: the other Regal died this morning. I am going to hold off on another Regal until I have the tank SPS ready. This has been a terrible experience.

Here is a better view of the 2 juveniles from LA that I received a few days ago. Seem to like to nibble on everything but never quite sure they are actually swallowing anything. One of the two has decided to start bossing around the other one as of today.

https://youtu.be/koRTY0F7oE4

Looking great to me. Mine isn't quite as as aggressive with the eating of the clams yet. Mostly picking at rocks still for the most part.

Lost a regal that i had for several years a few months ago. Received a medium size Maldives yellow belly from LA yesterday. It arived in good shape and my qt salinity matched the water so i was able to get it into the qt quickly. It has been doing a little head shaking here and there. Not sure if it sees its reflection and is reacting or has flukes. I gave it a eight minute freshwater bath this morning and didn't see anything come off of it. The good news is that it picked at mastic yesterday. Today it was a little more agreasive with the mastic and was picking mysis out of the water column. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

My two get along fine but only eat off of the rocks, not from the water column yet. In the past I could catch a few mysid shrimp crawling around my substrate, but have not seen any lately, so I am hoping the youngsters are picking them up as food.

My two get along fine but only eat off of the rocks, not from the water column yet. In the past I could catch a few mysid shrimp crawling around my substrate, but have not seen any lately, so I am hoping the youngsters are picking them up as food.

That's where mine is at too. Will pick at clams and rock but won't quite take anything from the water column. I've tried nutramar ova, PE mysis, hikari mysis, flake, and spectrum pellets. I ordered some of the Masstick food to give that a try. Seems alert and healthy though so I'm not really worried.

Mine went right to the Masstick. Mixed a few pellets in with it Saturday night and yesterday it started eating straight pellets out of the water.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back