Relassy Vs Viparspectra Vs Nicrew HyperReef

RickyRicardo183

Hello everyone! I am setting up a 225 gallon reef tank that is 72 in x 27 in x 27 in. I am debating on which of the 3 lights to get. I ended up purchasing the hyperreef leds but I found that the fans make way too much noise. Does anyone else have this problem with them? I have 3 of the 150w lights. I am probably going to replace them for either 3 relassy or 3 viparspectra. Which would be the best to buy? Do the viparspectra fans make a lot of noise? I'm ok with a little hum, but the hyperreefs I had were stupid loud, which is disappointing since they are so bright and sleek. I'm leaning to the viparspectra since I heard the relassy do not have a long lifespan, apparently only 5000 hours. But I watched this video on YouTube of a beautiful reef tank with the relassy, so I am wondering how they compare. Anyone have experience with these?

Just saw this post and had to comment as I just picked up one of the lights on your list. I purchased the nicrew Hyperreef 150 watt. Since we are talking these level lighting fixtures... we are talking a subset if the features as opposed to the very expensive models put there. So here's my list of what works well for whatbwe are looking for and at a friendly budget

Very bright 2 channel light that holds 3 pucks under in 1 fixture. The blending is great. My corals are growing well and I out it on a very basic timer. I bumped the blue/actinic channel higher than the white. It should be noted that each channel has other colors Such as ultraviolet And green and red on the white Channel. Its simple to mount and use. There is no ramp up or concept of scheduling (hence the timer). What you get is a great light that can grow corals. The only downside (and I say this owning a few high-end lights that have the same quirk) is that the fans sound like a desktop computer when they are on. They cycle on and off. Its not a big deal, but don't expect nothing. The light needs to be cooled, and it's required.

IN MY OPINION....A word of the panel style Relassy light (22") model... had one of these, but returned it. Its adequate, but no way as much light output as the HyperReef.

I hope this helps you make a decision . If you happen to have any question, just let me know, happy to help.

Thank you for the response, I think I may stick with the hyperreefs then. I just love the color and how bright they are. I heard somewhere that nicrew is making a timer/controller for them that is coming out in late February. What percentage do you run each channel?

I did hear about them making a timer. The nice thing is that until it comes out, a cheap timer works well as it maintains the setting. In addition (I have not done this). You can hook it up to a $99 Kessel controller for a complete light schedule, ramp up and down. Plus you can daisy chain them.

I have a very shallow hood.. 8" high. So I mounted it 2 down from the top. I wanted to give it some airspace to breath. As for my settings white channel at 40% (probably should move it back down to 20$) and blue at 80%. I had to use more white than I initially did because it was so blue. I have actually had my eyes hurt from having these too high in the beginning. And I'm not being dramatic here. I have a depth of 22" and these easily handle that.

Last edited:
Back