Removing a possible aggressive Damsel

phishman1

My tank has cycled out, about a month or so now. Last four days, all systems go and parameters are all perfect.

I added a yellow tail damsel about 2 weeks ago, recently a couple turbos, 3 blue legs and 1 red leg crab and an Emerald Crab.

46 gallon bowfront with live rock n live sand, so hang on filters, one a small biowheel penguin and one and aquaclear hang on as well.

On a budget but did spent the most of lighting so possibly down the road might do a coral or two, but not sure yet.

I plan to put in another fish today, not sure what to get though, RoyalGramma, Wrasse, Goby, waiting for two clowns in about a month.

Back to original question, I have read where yellow body Damsels were the way to go if using Damsels, but I saw that too late. My yellow tail is pretty and honestly I hate to remove it.

If it shows aggression when should I make that decision to remove, what am I looking for with aggression?

Also is there a system to getting it out without too much disruption? Someone told me turn off all lights like normal at night or earlier, give it two hours of darkness use a flashlight and hope you see the damsel but chances are its in between the live rock..so not sure if there is a simple way to remove?

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Yellowtails are pretty easy-going of their type. Clowns are also damsels, and usually don't take guff from nobody. And grammas are no pushover. I'd say remove him later if he proves a problem, but there's a good chance he won't. Of clowns, for trouble free, I'd recommend the ocellaris or similar. Maroons and clarkiis are real aggressive, and clarkiis have teeth.

Oldreeferman

Yellowtails are pretty easy-going of their type. Clowns are also damsels, and usually don't take guff from nobody. And grammas are no pushover. I'd say remove him later if he proves a problem, but there's a good chance he won't. Of clowns, for trouble free, I'd recommend the ocellaris or similar. Maroons and clarkiis are real aggressive, and clarkiis have teeth.

I totally agree with SK8r, i had a yellow tail & it actually got along with everyone except a Royal Gamma ........ Royals are aggressive & predators that need their own space.