Removing Zoas Safely

I have a large colony of Nuclear deaths that have spread out onto the bottom of my frag tank, it's bare bottom. Can I just pull them off?

How do I transfer them to a new tank, will they reattach?

I've never actually kept zoas before, but You should be able to gently "tickle" the foot until it releases, but don't try to just rip it out.
then put them in a small container and acclimate it just like any new coral.
Yes, just kinda stuff the foot into a hole, it should reattatch.

Coax them up with a credit card maybe then just glue them to a frag or rock and acclimate. If they secrete mucus and detach put them in a container with rubble and bridal veil covering it. They will attach quickly then you can glue them fown but I doubt this is necessary. Good luck with them!

be careful i stored my zoas with snails and other small corals in a bucket while doing a tank breakdown and everything died from the the zoa toxin.

You should be able to use a razor blade to cut them off as close to the glass as you can get and super glue (Cyanoacrylate) them on a suitable frag medium. Be careful as stated above they do have toxins that are bad for eyes and can get into open cuts on hands etc. Here is a nice article on fragging zoas: http://www.zoaid.com/articles003.php

These statements about zoa toxin are an understatement. Palytoxin can kill you if you are not careful. Nuclear Deaths are a protopalythoa, if I am thinking of the right one - big, slimy polyps - and they have more palytoxin than most other species. That said, half the reefing world frags zoas and palys on a regular basis so it's very doable as long as you take appropriate precautions.
Use a razor or credit card to shave them off the glass. Wear rubber/vinyl gloves to protect your hands. DO NOT get the residue in a cut or your eyes. If you work underwater, you don't need glasses but if you need to glue outside the tank, wear glasses since some can squirt. Blot the base dry with a paper towel and use superglue gel to attach it to the new mount. Throw gloves and paper towels away somewhere the family dog won't sniff it out. It'll kill him just as quickly.

I will def take every safety precaution. Is there a specific rubber glove I should use, I know some have coatings and what not on them.

Here is the colony in question from a little while ago, it has grown a few more rings of polyps, also the photo is terrible but I know everyone likes pictures. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363704624.674408.jpg

I've never actually kept zoas before, but You should be able to gently "tickle" the foot until it releases, but don't try to just rip it out.
then put them in a small container and acclimate it just like any new coral.
Yes, just kinda stuff the foot into a hole, it should reattatch.

Sorry to call you out publicly, but this is just plain irresponsible and dead wrong.
A) as I mentioned above, palytoxin can kill or blind you. proper precautions should be taken.
B) you cannot simply tickle the foot to make them release like many anemones
C) stuffing it in a hole will likely smother and rot the colony or allow them to blow away. z's and p's like flow. without proper adhesive, they will blow away after they inflate and pop themselves out of the hole, provided they don't simply melt.

I never actually owned a gun, but I can carry it around loaded in my waistband safely as long as the safety is on, right?

Here are some happy stories about palytoxin:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1858696

Back