Renton's Upgrade

A couple days ago I added a large old-timer yellow tang, that lost its top and bottom fins to an infection many years ago, to the large display tank. He had been in my frag tank. It took no time at all for him to school up with the youngins!

YYWGaDqh.jpg

WILoErTh.jpg

I released the Powder Brown and the Powder Blue from their quarantine tanks. I was a bit worried about the Powder Blue because he seemed like he wanted to fight a bit through the quarantine tank glass.

The introduction went well and they pretty much swim around with the yellows. There is some minor fluttering between various tangs as they sort things out but not prolonged hostilities.

rjJa9xgh.jpg

crG2WMoh.jpg

gfzWsTXh.jpg

I continue to work on wire management. It is light years better then my previous tank.

Old Tank, not much room, lot of wires, basically a death trap:

RVBn7r2h.jpg

New tank, much more room, much cleaner wire organization:

9kqnPp7h.jpg

E0wV8pEh.jpg

9IvakdWh.jpg

WSq30mZh.jpg

99eHuTQh.jpg

and a great place to hide from the wife and kids.......

2kNaKMLh.jpg

We need a video of the gang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right!

Here are a couple videos from this morning, one before feed and the other during.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dM5ZASplATk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pEHmOMNdoJ8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Those tangs in the video and pictures look almost white compared to the bright yellow I usually see. Is this your lighting, because they are so thin, or are they actually pale?

Tangs are social animals, and I love seeing them in a tank large enough to buddy up instead of the usual fighting.

love the tangs! so much room for them to swim. When are you moving the old tank to the new?

I may shut down the frag tank this weekend/early next week. I will also move some of the hearty corals from the old display.

I will move a few things a day after that and hopefully have the old system shut down by the end of the month.

Those tangs in the video and pictures look almost white compared to the bright yellow I usually see. Is this your lighting, because they are so thin, or are they actually pale?

Tangs are social animals, and I love seeing them in a tank large enough to buddy up instead of the usual fighting.

Did you see the pictures in post 1304? That was during full lighting. The other pictures and video are during low light times. There is one tang on the pale side, the rest are normal yellow.

These guys are tiny juveniles. They really are not that thin and all have good little bellies on them. I am happy with the condition in which they arrived.

Did you see the pictures in post 1304? That was during full lighting. The other pictures and video are during low light times. There is one tang on the pale side, the rest are normal yellow.

These guys are tiny juveniles. They really are not that thin and all have good little bellies on them. I am happy with the condition in which they arrived.

Not yellow = fake tangs :lolspin:

I didn't mean to imply they were underfed. But they don't have the same width as an adult, so I thought maybe they were slightly translucent, They look much smaller and younger than any tangs I've seen in person.

Looking at the crazy prices people pay for 'Koi' and other unusual tangs, and pale or white is not a bad thing. My pyramid butterflies made me really appreciate white on reef fish.

What's the fish list? Do you have everything and the rest will be from your old tank or are there more tangs and other fish that you're planning to add?

I didn't mean to imply they were underfed. But they don't have the same width as an adult, so I thought maybe they were slightly translucent, They look much smaller and younger than any tangs I've seen in person.

Looking at the crazy prices people pay for 'Koi' and other unusual tangs, and pale or white is not a bad thing. My pyramid butterflies made me really appreciate white on reef fish.

I would love it the pale one where to go totally white! We will see what happens!

What's the fish list? Do you have everything and the rest will be from your old tank or are there more tangs and other fish that you're planning to add?

I plan to add several different wrasse down the road. I think I am done with tangs, I wanted to get the new little guys in the tank for a few days before I added my big Achilles. The Achilles is relatively friendly but we will see how he feels about the powder blue and brown tangs, he is 8x bigger then them.

I wanted to raise the lights even higher so I got a couple powder coated aluminum rails that the Atlantiks are able to slide right into. The height helps get a more uniform coverage and really gives the lights a more clean look.

hUMp6ABh.jpg

xKqCEdVh.jpg

zjbJb7uh.jpg

Back