Return pump dilemma

DanzReef

Hi all! I'm getting back into the hobby and ran into a issue regarding my return pumps... So I have a 375g tank and currently have 2 BlueLine 40HDX external pumps that were recommended to me from my LFS so I went with them... Come to find out according to several other enthusiasts that these pumps aren't sufficient GPH for my tank. Was even told to just go with a cheap aquastation dc12000 pumps which have a suggested 3100gph each compared to my 1400gph and so ditch the AC pumps.... So with all that being said, input is greatly welcomed!

People think they need a high thru-put thru their sump. This is not true. The sump is a place for any suspended solids (poop, food, etc...) to settle out. On a tank that big, I would use 2 good quality return pumps, Ecotech L2, Apex COR20, Red Dragon RD100 (personal favorite) and there are a few others. 2 pumps will give you redundancy.
The Blueline are a good pump, but are a power hog and loud.
Then go with wave pumps (4) MP 40's or (2) MP 60's for flow and circulation inside the tank.

Depends on your goals. As stated above, you don't need high flow through your sump, unless you're like me. I wanted my return to be a significant part of my tank flow because I didn't want power heads inside the tank.

It also depends on your placement. My sump is in a basement fish room 40 feet away, so I did t have that many options. I'm running a reeflo hammerhead gold and getting around 1800 gph. Great, but loud.

I have a Royal exclusive rd3 80 watt on one closed loop and an abyzz a100 on the other. Both are great pumps, but rd3 is much cheaper (I got both used). Both are silent. Since they're right under my display, I didn't need a higher pressure pump and I needed both to be silent.

Some more details on your setup and needs would help with recommendations. Broadly, Abyzz and Royal Exclusive are fantastic, but pricey. I dont have experience with the other brands like ecotech, reef octopus, and sicce, though they are quite popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently my setup will be using x2 Maxspect Gyre XF 350's and the sump is in the stand with 1 pump running directly into return and second shares/splits into manifold.

People think they need a high thru-put thru their sump. This is not true. The sump is a place for any suspended solids (poop, food, etc...) to settle out. On a tank that big, I would use 2 good quality return pumps, Ecotech L2, Apex COR20, Red Dragon RD100 (personal favorite) and there are a few others. 2 pumps will give you redundancy.
The Blueline are a good pump, but are a power hog and loud.
Then go with wave pumps (4) MP 40's or (2) MP 60's for flow and circulation inside the tank.

This!

I can vouch for the Echotec. I'm not an Echotech fanboy but that pump is the bees knees. Also, their dosing pumps are very nice.

Sump under the tank in the stand, will be a mixed reef tank.

In that case, ditch the blue lines. Way to noisy, induce to much heat, power hogs.

Ecotech, Apex COR 20, Red Dragon. Whatever, but spend the money on a good pump(s) and you'll only need to buy once.

Again, I would go with 2 on separate return lines.

In that case, ditch the blue lines. Way to noisy, induce to much heat, power hogs.

Ecotech, Apex COR 20, Red Dragon. Whatever, but spend the money on a good pump(s) and you'll only need to buy once.

Again, I would go with 2 on separate return lines.

Damn... I was hoping to hear good news as Ill have to redo all the plumbing and out of the $ for the pumps... Oh well

You may not have to completely redo your plumbing. I think all the pumps mentioned can be run externally.

If you're a bit clever with your plumbing, and want to save a bit of money, you might be able to get just one dc pump and keep one of the bluelines as a backup. Depends on how you want to handle your backup plan - 2 return pumps means if one fails, sump keeps limping along while you fix/replace the other. Single pump with a backup requires you to be around to swap out the pump"¦.. in your case, I'd recommend the 2 return pumps route, though it may be more expensive.

It’s not that DC pumps are inherently better, but most of the available better pumps are DC.

DC is nice because you can adjust the output and tune your system for silence and efficiently, It’s nice to have more tools than just a gate valve and the option of re-plumbing.

You may not have to completely redo your plumbing. I think all the pumps mentioned can be run externally.

If you're a bit clever with your plumbing, and want to save a bit of money, you might be able to get just one dc pump and keep one of the bluelines as a backup. Depends on how you want to handle your backup plan - 2 return pumps means if one fails, sump keeps limping along while you fix/replace the other. Single pump with a backup requires you to be around to swap out the pump"¦.. in your case, I'd recommend the 2 return pumps route, though it may be more expensive.

Yea I think Im going with 2 Core20's.

I keep coming back to Eheim pumps. They simply never fail.

I had to laugh at this. Simply because TODAY I had my 25 year old Eheim 1048 give up the ghost (thankfully via tripping the GFCI instead of releasing the magic smoke) while transferring some salt water into my main tank. It served long and well. But it DID fail eventually! :)

Back