return pump question

jcgso

Saltwater Addict
Would a Oceanrunner 3500 (950GPH) be sufficient as a return pump on a 120 AGA with double overflows?

FYI, each one of the mega flow overflows can handle 500-600gph. You'll only need around 360-500gph for your tank based on the 3-5x rule.

I've been sumpless on my 55, so this is my first experience with overflows/pumps. Thanks for the info.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10431944#post10431944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dhnguyen
A bit much if all you're using it is for a return. An OceanRunner 2500 would be better.

D.

I agree

Even for the 150g I would still use OR2500 instead. You really only need about 3-5X tankover going through the sump. Anything else is just a waste of electricity.

D.

I prefer 2x or 3x going through the sump. I think the old rules were created before we had modern power heads and loop systems. The things in my sump don't really need the high flow such as calcium reactor, protein skimmer and filter bag.

Turnover rate taking head loss into consideration, or what the pump is rated for at 0'? My plan for the 150, is a dual outlet return with headloss giving me around 700gph back to the tank, which would be about 4.5x through the sump and at 0', you're talking 6x. IDK, I'm just asking about HL and the 3-5x equation.

Dave

The problem is people confuse turnover through the sump and turnover in the tank for water motion. It generally accepted that you should turn the tak over 10 to 15 x, BUT that should come from the sump, the sump should only be 3 or 4 x, the rest comes from power heads or a closed loop.

last post should have read "should NOT ALL come from the sump"

sorry, fingers working faster than brain.

Back