Returning to marine aquariums after over a decade away from the hobby:

jread

Yep, it's been a looong time. I had marine tanks back in the 90's when most people were still using undergravel filters with powerheads and no live rock. I eventually had a nano or two, but they were still fish only with live rock... never got into corals as I always found fish/inverts way more interesting (sacrilege, I know).

Well, the time has come for me to get back into the hobby as I've been wanting to for awhile. It seems that technology has improved a lot with LED lighting, controllers, etc. I think I've found the tank I want as I've completely fallen in love with the Fluval M-60, however I'm not really sure where to go from there. I'd like to set the tank up as a reef tank with some hardy "beginner corals" and a few fish/inverts. I've always been partial to clowns and pretty much any type of goby (love firefish), as well as the various neat shrimp. Corals, I'm not sure where to start, but definitely something easy and forgiving.

As for equipment, the M-60 comes with quite a bit, but there is no heater or filter media. I also like the idea of a controller but am not sure which one I should get (wifi would be ideal). Then there are the auto top off systems, etc. It's honestly quite overwhelming to try to figure out what I need/don't need. I guess I'd list my questions as follows:

1. Besides the equipment that comes with the tank linked above, what else should I absolutely get for sure?

2. What test kits/hydrometer?

3. What are some good corals for a beginner?

4. Any other advice you guys may have? I've been out of the hobby long enough that I am treating myself as a total beginner.

Welcome back! The m-60 is a nice looking tank. I'm not sold on the lights they include though. They will do the job for some softies and less demanding lps, but you may find yourself wishing for either more light (if you ever want sps) or more controllability (to adjust the look of the lights, or have the sunrise/sunset effect). I also find their bottom drain for water changes kind of meh, since water change is a great time to siphon gunk from your display. I also find the price for what you get kind of high. But that's all, like, my opinion man. :)

For your questions:

1) heater if needed.
2) I use salifert, but there are a number of reputable brands of kits (Elos and red sea for example). Skip the hydrometer and get a refractometer. Also get some calibration fluid for it and calibrate often.
3) most softies, candy canes are bulletproof lps, lots of nice easy options. All depends on what you like the look of.
4) take it slow, do more reading than you can stand, and find your local reefer community. I've found reefers to be the best source of information, advice, equipment and corals. Who knows, there may be a decent used system available in your area. Check everything before you buy your new fluval.

Good luck!

I would think about what your budget is and what you want to see in your tank. Then see if the former allows for the latter. I would consider a custom tank, they can be less than you fear plus you get the exact tank dimentions you want. Also consider a bean animal overflow and design your tank accordingly. You get silence and safety, really no downside.

Back