Ricordea?

curekar

This was sold to us as a Ricordea, but we were wodering if it is a hairy mushroom. Comments?

Craig

144631Dscf0007sc.jpg

The pseudotenacles just look too elongated for a hairy/frilly mushroom. At first I thought it was an anemone until I saw the rim around it laying flat. Maybe someone else can chime in that has the same thing.

Good luck!

Anybody?
It's a really bright blue, the picture doesn't really catch that. I haven't seen anything else like it.
There's another one left at the LFS.....
Craig

Thanks Reefmack,

I have not been able to find many good pictures of Amplexidiscus species except for A. fenestrafer, and it does not seem to be that but does look similar in many ways. In looking for Amplexidiscus pics I found a few Rodactis pics that looked distantly similar, but the description does not seem to match.

Craig

The LFS wanted $30 for them, I didn't think that it was a Ric when we purchased it, but the store insisted that it was, so wanted more for it. I felt it was worth it because it was so different than anything that I have seen. I have already been asked to go and get the other one, it has been a week so we will see. Hopefully it will multiply like a mushroom, not a Ricordea, then more people can get it. The one I have is about 1.5" the one left behind was about an inch.

Craig

Looks like what they call St. Thomas ric (which isn't a ricordea at all) with slightly deflated psudotenticles. Does the tenticles get fuller then that? Pretty cool none the less....

Well if it does inflate more, I haven't seen it. It does look a little beat up, it fluoresces more under moonlights now than when I first got it, but the only change I have seen is a little more blue in the mantle. It is eating, excreated waste twice. Maybe it will change some more.

Craig

My "steel blue" Ricordea floridas look just like that when they're very ticked off. I'm going to go against the grain and say Ric florida.

Back