riddle me this

fatsolomon

i work at the LFS around here, and a guy came to me with a problem. for the life of me i cant figure out what is going on with this guys tank. here's the background info. the tank is a 15 gal eclipse system. there is sand on the bottom but no live rock. it has been up and running for over 2 monthes without anything in it. before that period of time, he had 3 fish that all died within a day of each other, with no visible signs of anything. monday he came in and bought a damsel to "test the waters". yesterday he came back and the fish was pale and non active, but still alive. the fins are perfect and if the fish wasnt pale i would say that it is normal (minus the laying on the bottom and seeming to be gasping) there is plenty of water flow and airation and the tests show that the water couldnt be more perfect. i tested ph, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia all were perfect. he says the temp is at a steady 75 and the salinity is optimal. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS SYSTEM? i appreciate the help and sorry about the long write up.

New equipment or used? Bad heater: Voltage leak that's pretty well done for the fish by the time you saw it?

Velvet? [Amyloodium]
Fish can get a 'dusting' of spots with velvet, but because it attacks the gills first, the fish often dies with no visible symptoms.
Other symptoms to include heavy breathing loss of appetite, lethargy, erratic swimming and flashing, then gasping for air and death

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7528316#post7528316 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fatsolomon
well water here in NH
when i first started i filled my tank with well water and after the cycle got a few damsels, about 4hrs later dead, tried again 2 more dead my paramers were fine no ammonia no nitrite, told the lfs what typo of water and he said get rid of it and put ro in i did and never have had a problem, and remember my reading were showing zero for the nasties

when i first started i filled my tank with well water and after the cycle got a few damsels, about 4hrs later dead, tried again 2 more dead my paramers were fine no ammonia no nitrite, told the lfs what typo of water and he said get rid of it and put ro in i did and never have had a problem, and remember my reading were showing zero for the nasties

did you see any signs of anything or did they just die?

Back