Right-Sizing Gyre Wavemakers

Rovert

Premium Member
Is there a formula or guideline to determining what wavemaker flow rate is optimal for any given tank size and/or dimension?

I'm wanting to add two Gyre style wavemakers opposite each other to create current across the length of a CADE 1800 (6' long, 28" high and deep). The tank will be a mixed reef, SPS dominant, eventually with maxima clams and other inverts also. I'm just curious to know if there's a recommended flow because the ratings are all over the map. Depending on the manufacturer and model, they range from around 2000gph to 5000gph, and there's no sense buying more than I need, because more flow = bigger more distracting pump = more expense if a larger model isn't needed.

Another factor is whether the magnets are strong enough, the thickness of the glass on my tank is 3/4", about 19mm, so that's potentially a problem also.

Thanks in advance!

So a lot of flow will depend. Most SPS love a strong flow. However with a mixed reef, you may want to consider having low flow areas as well. With that said, I have a Jebao SLW-8 (2100 GPH) at 100% and a Neptune Wav (4000 GPH) at 60% so 2400 GPH plus 2 koralia nanos (240 GPH each) so 480 GPH, plus about 600 GPH on my return line on my 65 Gallon 36x24x18(I think?) So a total of 5,580 GPH or about 86x turn over. The water is definitely moving but my softies and LPS have no issue cause they aren’t being blasted directly.

This is an excellent video regarding flow and has the max spect gyres in it

As for magnets, I have no experience with the gyre magnets so I can’t advise there

Thanks for this! My question was answered in the first portion - the Maxspect 350 is what I'll need for the laminar flow to reach far enough across the tank.

Now the question is how to manage it using either an Apex or Hydros. Still trying to get my head around which system makes the most sense for me. Both have their own 'cults', I like the idea that the Hydros is going 'open architecture' and has redundance, but the Apex has wide industry support and (reportedly) good customer service. If I wanted to use the Hydros, it looks like what I'd need is a $600 control module. If I went with the Apex, it seems I can connect directly to the Maxspect controller. Not sure about the whole thing, hoping someone can help.

Is there a formula or guideline to determining what wavemaker flow rate is optimal for any given tank size and/or dimension?

I'm wanting to add two Gyre style wavemakers opposite each other to create current across the length of a CADE 1800 (6' long, 28" high and deep). The tank will be a mixed reef, SPS dominant, eventually with maxima clams and other inverts also. I'm just curious to know if there's a recommended flow because the ratings are all over the map. Depending on the manufacturer and model, they range from around 2000gph to 5000gph, and there's no sense buying more than I need, because more flow = bigger more distracting pump = more expense if a larger model isn't needed.

Another factor is whether the magnets are strong enough, the thickness of the glass on my tank is 3/4", about 19mm, so that's potentially a problem also.

Thanks in advance!

Which Gyres? Magnets are great on the Maxspects but Icecaps are a little weak. Not sure one the Jumps pumps but they have the single magnet like the Icecap.

Thanks for this! My question was answered in the first portion - the Maxspect 350 is what I'll need for the laminar flow to reach far enough across the tank.

Now the question is how to manage it using either an Apex or Hydros. Still trying to get my head around which system makes the most sense for me. Both have their own 'cults', I like the idea that the Hydros is going 'open architecture' and has redundance, but the Apex has wide industry support and (reportedly) good customer service. If I wanted to use the Hydros, it looks like what I'd need is a $600 control module. If I went with the Apex, it seems I can connect directly to the Maxspect controller. Not sure about the whole thing, hoping someone can help.

You would need the Hydros Wave Engine or Wave Engine LE. They both are great I have several.
You do not need the full Controller.

If you want a full controller the Hydros is great. They also work well with the Hydros Wave Engine.
I like the Hydros far more especially with the new XP8.

Last edited:
I run an Apex EL but that’s cause it came with the tank. I could do just as well with a smart power strip. I’ve heard good things about Neptune customer service but have never had to use them. That said, the only thing I could really find, and it’s older, looks like an IceCap Interface Module is needed for each Gyre to make it work

It does appear that Maxspect does have an app and I haven’t read anything to bad with their controller itself. Not sure if that helps any

I run two Maxspect gyre 350s in the tank I just setup. Very similar to tank yours, but mine's 5 ft. x 27 wide x 24 tall (Waterbox Infinia 215.) I don't need a ton of flow, but I only run each one at 10% and it's enough so far. (They defaulted to 50% when I turned them on and blew sand all over.) I have them mounted on opposite ends, but one is horizontal running across the top and one is vertical shooting along the back. Also have 19mm - 3/4 glass and the magnets do work well. I was a little worried about stability because they changed the magnets to be in the middle on the 3 series rather than closer to the ends on the 150s, but it's fine. The controller that comes with the 3 series Gyres is pretty nice and is very flexible for configuring each powerhead. IMO, you don't need an Apex unless you just want one for other stuff too. Another nice thing is you can also run two of the gyres off one power supply. Anyway, hope that helps.

I run 330 and 350 gyres and two varios 4 pumps off a wave engine on a mixed reef 115 gal. Got the WE when it came out, and it has been dependable. I love having only one power supply, and easier programing than the Maxpect gyre controller.
The gyres have improved since the 250’s I once had. Less parts, color coded left and right, and the flow directors work well once I figured out the correct way to attach them.

I run 330 and 350 gyres and two varios 4 pumps off a wave engine on a mixed reef 115 gal. Got the WE when it came out, and it has been dependable. I love having only one power supply, and easier programing than the Maxpect gyre controller.
The gyres have improved since the 250’s I once had. Less parts, color coded left and right, and the flow directors work well once I figured out the correct way to attach them.

Yea the WaveEngine Makes life easier. I have two WE and one WE LE.
Love my whole Hydros setup. This is just 1/4 of it for one tank:

20200801_184021.jpg

I run two Maxspect gyre 350s in the tank I just setup... I have them mounted on opposite ends, but one is horizontal running across the top and one is vertical shooting along the back. Also have 19mm - 3/4 glass and the magnets do work well.

Just a quick update, I went with two XF350's because it's better to have more flow and dial it back than not enough and have to buy new, or more, pumps. ;-)

Running both placed opposite each other on the far sides of the tank operated with a Hydros WaveEngine in 'gyre' mode. So far I'm at only about 1/3 power but it's ample enough. Had it dialed up higher and in addition to the sand flying all over the place, all the fish were hanging on the one side of the tank away from the return... I guess it was too much like a fish frappe on the one end.

Eventually I plan to add a compatible return pump so I can benefit from dialing back the flow at night or turn it off for feeding and control everything from an Apex. In all, so far, very happy with the WE product. A genius piece of equipment.

Back