Rms f-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think CleveYank's post was a bash on RC, in fact he does not even mention/accuse RC as being a problem. I believe he was pointing out the problem we have as a club when conversations or comments are made in public under the club's name that would be better suited for a conversation/debate in a private member's only forum.

Additionally, many of the comments have been made by non-club members in a public forum under the club's name. Let me be clear, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am not saying non-club members are some how less important. The point is the comments are made by non-club members in public forum with the club's name on it and therefore the comments are associated with the club by others.

The problem referenced by CleveYank is related to the club and our forum structure and not a dress-down of RC.

As far as heavy chips I don't even know what that chip would be. Moderators need to have thick skin and probably should not make unsolicited comments/commentary on a user's post provided the post is within the user-agreement.

:lol: I'm sure I misunderstood this as well as other comments made.

I've come to expect nothing less when it comes to some "information" posted in this forum...unfortunately.

Trust me, we have pretty thick skin and my comment is completely warranted. This is a public forum and the OP has every right to post an opinion here.

I know nothing of the LFS, but it's hardly a deal breaker that not everyone likes them. It's how they react to it that makes them good or bad.

I do not think CleveYank's post was a bash on RC, in fact he does not even mention/accuse RC as being a problem. ...

It was a tangential shot at the moderators here and at RC in general, referencing the thread back in the feedback forum. I know that he, and others here, have also been taking shots on the same topic on at least one other forum. Yet, despite all that, no one in authority for the club has taken up Ryan's offer and e-mailed anyone here with the actual concerns, requiring us to continue to make guesses and then complaining when we haven't done what's apparently wanted.

I have to agree with the mod’s on this one. When a club pres. feels the need to filter all opinion of its members, before they can post them. Or have the right to keep anyone else from expressing one. Is just terrible. I hope RC continues to keep this on open forum how sad that the clubs dealing may in some way be in jeopardy by someone’s true experiences with a lfs or the subsequent discussion of it. .
It reminds me of an old saying "don’t sleep with dogs if you don’t want to get flees .. "

Maybe I need a disclaimer” all opinions expressed in the above post are in no way sanctioned by C Sea, its members and its affiliates, and are solely that of the person who wrote it.

.....the main point of my post has been pushed into the background :(

I'm not sure what that was. This forum is meant to work with your club board not against it. And vice versa. IMO the nonmembers of today may very well be the new members tomorrow.

Maybe I need a disclaimer" all opinions expressed in the above post are in no way sanctioned by C Sea, its members and its affiliates, and are solely that of the person who wrote it.

While I do not agree with the first part of your post, this part did make me laugh. :)

No gentlemen, and ladies, nobody is saying the club officers need to censor, but rather he is asking that WE THINK BEFORE WE TYPE.

Lunacy, I know.

Thanks Tony, you said what i have been afraid to! You were one of the first members me and my wife spoke with a few years ago and you are a great sensible person. I have made so many great friends at C-sea. Wish i still saw a lot of them at the meetings!!!

I am one of the folks who found C-Sea on this forum and chose to join. Debbi the Mod was right on this point. Reef Central led me to C-SEA.

I have know Mike from RMS since Rob, Mike and Steve (Hence RMS) opened their first store in the old greenhouse. They custom built my first SW tank 18 or so years ago!
Mike is the only one left and the other stores are closed. Like Tony, I have gotten quite a few good deals from the current store including a beautiful 5 in. bubble coral for $10 dollars. Hard goods a little pricey? maybe, but in the range of most LFS's imo.

The fresh water fish there are very competitively priced and in great shape. SW is cheaper than many LFS stores. Mike is working hard to improve the quality of his stock and has huge overhead where he is located.

Over the past several years i have seen all of the local stores rated here and the posts always even out and appear to me to give a wide range of opinions from which you can make your own. I thought the original post from T was harsh and that is why i planned on posting my own thoughts on RMS when i got home from work today. I would never trash a business or a person (hint, hint) on this forum.

Peace,
Tommy

This is great timing because it kind of sounds like the politicians. " If you donate $$$$ to my campaign I'll see that your agenda goes through no matter if it's good for people or not"

P.S.- I refuse to go into that store anymore because of the condition of their tanks the last time I was in there. Sorry if this hurts anyone feelings.

I had no clue this thread took a slight turn...

To the "club", officers or whomever...I had ZERO knowledge of C-Sea even though I'm a native Clevelander who bought his 1st SW fish from Heights pets back in 1975 and since then has likely funneled THOUSANDS of dollars to Cleveland area LFS including RMS ... (RMS being almost the LAST survivor of a long list of closed LFS in this area...I only wish them the best!!!)

the point:

I have fond memories and experiences of Cleveland area LFS and again, wish them only good things, but with external "cyber" competition being what it is, they may need to tweek things to remain competitive; and a lil feedback helps (although I can also see the damage a "smear campaign" on a public forum could do, but I think its not the case here)

I'm also thinking RC is a good PR venue for C-SEA, and whatever transparency this forum on RC provides, also lends to decision to join/not join for those viewing.... I'm not sure censoring or limiting involvemt on a forum owned and mainted by RC would help, but I can also the how external opinion on this C-Sea sub-forum appears to be guilt by association...

whatever the solution is, I hope ya'll work it out..... (perhaps a sig line containing "C-Sea" member would help)...I dunno

Thanks Tony, you said what i have been afraid to! You were one of the first members me and my wife spoke with a few years ago and you are a great sensible person. I have made so many great friends at C-sea. Wish i still saw a lot of them at the meetings!!!

I am one of the folks who found C-Sea on this forum and chose to join. Debbi the Mod was right on this point. Reef Central led me to C-SEA.

I have know Mike from RMS since Rob, Mike and Steve (Hence RMS) opened their first store in the old greenhouse. They custom built my first SW tank 18 or so years ago!
Mike is the only one left and the other stores are closed. Like Tony, I have gotten quite a few good deals from the current store including a beautiful 5 in. bubble coral for $10 dollars. Hard goods a little pricey? maybe, but in the range of most LFS's imo.

The fresh water fish there are very competitively priced and in great shape. SW is cheaper than many LFS stores. Mike is working hard to improve the quality of his stock and has huge overhead where he is located.

Over the past several years i have seen all of the local stores rated here and the posts always even out and appear to me to give a wide range of opinions from which you can make your own. I thought the original post from T was harsh and that is why i planned on posting my own thoughts on RMS when i got home from work today. I would never trash a business or a person (hint, hint) on this forum.

Peace,
Tommy

Yeah, this post really stirred up a lot of opinions. I'm sure he could've worded it differently. No one's perfect and us hobbyist go through problems. I've seen RMS with completely healthy fish and no issues. Then once there is something slightly wrong a person doesn't hesitate and jumps the gun! I think that's outlandish. :spin3:

Yeah, this post really stirred up a lot of opinions. I'm sure he could've worded it differently. No one's perfect and us hobbyist go through problems. I've seen RMS with completely healthy fish and no issues. Then once there is something slightly wrong a person doesn't hesitate and jumps the gun! I think that's outlandish. :spin3:

I totally agree here. People should have put in a good word that believe otherwise instead of trying to make it a fight.

Whats the problem with calling a spade a spade? RMS is a fairly terrible store. There, I said it. Crappy tanks, crappy livestock, and terrible pricing on drygoods. How he manages to stay open is beyond me. Marinedepot.com is a click away folks.

Your going to play paladin and get all crabby about someone stating the obvious? So he let you setup a table. Horray.
I'd wager you've got more members from RC anyway. That's how i found C-Sea. I was going to go with a friend who is a member and join up myself actually, but I wont be doing so as long as The current "Leader" is in charge. He continues to rail against RC for reasons unknown, and refuses to return E-mail, calming stating his grievances. He bizarrely demands a phone number for a contact on an all volunteer forum.
On any other forum he would have been banned allready. I think the mods leave him around for a daily dose of humor. Its embarrassing to C-Sea. Call me when you find a normal dude to run the club.

Whats the problem with calling a spade a spade? RMS is a fairly terrible store. There, I said it. Crappy tanks, crappy livestock, and terrible pricing on drygoods. How he manages to stay open is beyond me. Marinedepot.com is a click away folks.

Your going to play paladin and get all crabby about someone stating the obvious? So he let you setup a table. Horray.
I'd wager you've got more members from RC anyway. That's how i found C-Sea. I was going to go with a friend who is a member and join up myself actually, but I wont be doing so as long as The current "Leader" is in charge. He continues to rail against RC for reasons unknown, and refuses to return E-mail, calming stating his grievances. He bizarrely demands a phone number for a contact on an all volunteer forum.
On any other forum he would have been banned allready. I think the mods leave him around for a daily dose of humor. Its embarrassing to C-Sea. Call me when you find a normal dude to run the club.

I agree with you on how poorly the situation was handled especially from a member in his position. RC does a great job and should not be patronized.

The real important thing here to take home is how RMS handles the criticism in question regardless of the source. While I'm not sure anyone from RMS reads RC in any official capacity, tcat3rd's post above sheds some light on the other side here. They're obviously aware of it and working to fix it. As I stated in my post above, there could be numerous reasons for the condition of the SW side. Compare that to their freshwater livestock (I bought quite a bit there in the past when I still ran a planted tank), and their Reef display tank as you walk in the door. Both are very well kept, so it's not for lack of trying that things are they way they are. I've talked to pretty much all their staff at one point or another and many of them do run reef systems, so it isn't lack of knowledge. It could be a supplier problem, or the margins on SW goods are way narrower. I don't know, but I vote with my dollars where I feel I'm getting the best value.

This much should be obvious, but my views aren't in any way representative of C-SEA as an organization.

(edited to remove comments to the above two posts)

Last edited:
I quoted the dr. then he edited it, so I shall do the same.

Even though you have edited I would like to reply to one point you made in your former post and set the record straight. ;)

ALL RC Staff are in fact 100% completely volunteer (and have always been completely volunteer). Absolutely no one is compensated in any manner unlike your now edited post attempted to portray. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back