Rms f-

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real important thing here to take home is how RMS handles the criticism in question regardless of the source. While I'm not sure anyone from RMS reads RC in any official capacity, tcat3rd's post above sheds some light on the other side here. They're obviously aware of it and working to fix it. As I stated in my post above, there could be numerous reasons for the condition of the SW side. Compare that to their freshwater livestock (I bought quite a bit there in the past when I still ran a planted tank), and their Reef display tank as you walk in the door. Both are very well kept, so it's not for lack of trying that things are they way they are. I've talked to pretty much all their staff at one point or another and many of them do run reef systems, so it isn't lack of knowledge. It could be a supplier problem, or the margins on SW goods are way narrower. I don't know, but I vote with my dollars where I feel I'm getting the best value.

This much should be obvious, but my views aren't in any way representative of C-SEA as an organization.

(edited to remove comments to the above two posts)

THANKS to the both of you...that was VERY courteous...
..the only reason I removed my post was it was too verbose; people hate reading soap box speeches... but I do feel this way, so FWIW:

Whats the problem with calling a spade a spade? RMS is a fairly terrible store. There, I said it. Crappy tanks, crappy livestock, and terrible pricing on drygoods. How he manages to stay open is beyond me. Marinedepot.com is a click away folks.

Your going to play paladin and get all crabby about someone stating the obvious? So he let you setup a table. Horray.
I'd wager you've got more members from RC anyway. That's how i found C-Sea. I was going to go with a friend who is a member and join up myself actually, but I wont be doing so as long as The current "Leader" is in charge. He continues to rail against RC for reasons unknown, and refuses to return E-mail, calming stating his grievances. He bizarrely demands a phone number for a contact on an all volunteer forum.
On any other forum he would have been banned allready. I think the mods leave him around for a daily dose of humor. Its embarrassing to C-Sea. Call me when you find a normal dude to run the club.
You kinda/sorta echoed my sentiments albeit a lil "xtra strength"....

-I think the relationship of RC to C-Sea is essential; like I stated: I'm a LONG time hobbyist, salt water enthusiast and have never heard of C-Sea until I landed/re-landed here on RC ...these forums can be a good recruiting tool

- LFS do have a tough time against the asst "dot coms" out there; esp with one day shipping to Ohio from Premium Aquatics, and the track records of BRS, & F&S with thier low prices the EXCELLENT Cust svc,
.... thats a fact regardless of RMS's pricing & livestock care; and as far as LFS's yeah if you did a "comparison" thing with LFS's; RMC's pricing & selection is behind a 100% SW operation like Aquatic on RT 82 and the "look & feel" is behind Steve's place & Salty Critters, but then again who isn't? ...still they are close by and get my money on a regualr basis

- I might have goofed on Cleveyanks use of English, but clevelander to clevelander; about the only thing I'd hold against him is the sacreligious use of "Y.A.N.K" in the namesakes which is almost as sinful as using "Steeler" in any combination ...anyway, I think the "intent" was to dissassociate opinion posted here with that of the club.... I don't see any evil conspiracy or heavy handed dictatorship so much as a "Clevelandish" approach using a "Clevelandish" use of the english language

Even though you have edited I would like to reply to one point you made in your former post and set the record straight. ;)

ALL RC Staff are in fact 100% completely volunteer (and have always been completely volunteer). Absolutely no one is compensated in any manner unlike your now edited post attempted to portray. ;)

Not trying to start an argument, but I did indeed edit my post (with in 2 minutes), in part because I was not sure if I was correct. So, I guess thanks for setting my self-edited post straight.

I do have a question because I hear people claiming one thing and then another thing, hence my confusion. Is Reef Central a non-profit entity or owned by a non-profit entity? Or is it for profit?

From where I come from your post was hardly a wall of text soapbox!

Renton: From my understanding Reef Central is an offshoot of Reefkeeping Magazine, LLC. The moderation staff is not paid for these duties. Whether or not they are paid for other responsibilities involving Reefkeeping Magazine is unclear. The ad revenue goes to someone but it isn't Dino or dc ;)

Boy have we made a tangled mess with our posts, edits, references to edited posts which we edited, references to our edited posts which were made post-edit ;) , re-posting of edited posts and so on....

THANKS to the both of you...that was VERY courteous...
..the only reason I removed my post was it was too verbose; people hate reading soap box speeches... but I do feel this way, so FWIW:

I thought you were on target with your measured and logical post.

From where I come from your post was hardly a wall of text soapbox!

Renton: From my understanding Reef Central is an offshoot of Reefkeeping Magazine, LLC. The moderation staff is not paid for these duties. Whether or not they are paid for other responsibilities involving Reefkeeping Magazine is unclear. The ad revenue goes to someone but it isn't Dino or dc ;)

thanks for the info

Not trying to start an argument, but I did indeed edit my post (with in 2 minutes), in part because I was not sure if I was correct. So, I guess thanks for setting my self-edited post straight.

I do have a question because I hear people claiming one thing and then another thing, hence my confusion. Is Reef Central a non-profit entity or owned by a non-profit entity? Or is it for profit?

:D No argument meant, its just better to correct things like this in the beginning rather then let the rumor mills start working. I wish I got paid for goofing off on here.

As for the second paragraph - I'm certainly not the one to ask regarding the profile of RC. :D

Actually kind of the opposite - RK Mag is a side project of RC, but nope - not one cent goes into RK Mag either. RK Mag is put together almost entirely by Team RC (moderation staff helps in tiny amounts but the 99% is all Team RC members hard work). :D

John Link, he hasn't been active on here for many years though. :) There is a history of RC thread floating around that tells some of the history and who's I can try to find later.

For clarity, RC is a ".com". It's a commercial entity, not a not for profit. The board does generate an income. How much of that income goes into keeping us on the Internet and operating is none of my business, or yours, but I can confirm that we are not a not for profit.

Whats the problem with calling a spade a spade? RMS is a fairly terrible store. There, I said it. Crappy tanks, crappy livestock, and terrible pricing on drygoods. How he manages to stay open is beyond me. Marinedepot.com is a click away folks.

Your going to play paladin and get all crabby about someone stating the obvious? So he let you setup a table. Horray.
I'd wager you've got more members from RC anyway. That's how i found C-Sea. I was going to go with a friend who is a member and join up myself actually, but I wont be doing so as long as The current "Leader" is in charge. He continues to rail against RC for reasons unknown, and refuses to return E-mail, calming stating his grievances. He bizarrely demands a phone number for a contact on an all volunteer forum.
On any other forum he would have been banned allready. I think the mods leave him around for a daily dose of humor. Its embarrassing to C-Sea. Call me when you find a normal dude to run the club.

i agree with this 100%... Reefcentral has only provided good things for C-sea and should NOT be railed against in any way... this forum is how i figured out that c-sea exists and im sure that is the same with over half of the paying members... at first i couldnt figure out why some of the veteran reefers broke off to form there own club, but now i can see that this is probably one of many reasons... drama, politics, and strange agendas in something that should just be nothing more than an enjoyable hobby...

i agree with this 100%... Reefcentral has only provided good things for c-sea and should not be railed against in any way... This forum is how i figured out that c-sea exists and im sure that is the same with over half of the paying members... At first i couldnt figure out why some of the veteran reefers broke off to form there own club, but now i can see that this is probably one of many reasons... Drama, politics, and strange agendas in something that should just be nothing more than an enjoyable hobby...

+1

+2.....I haven't been on these forums for a bit....it's nice to see nothing has changed. Sure doesn't seem like there was all this bull$%&! 2 years ago......Grow up people...were all hear to talk about fish and coral.....were just a bunch of fish nerds....let the rest of it go!

man... im surprised we havent seen a massive 10,000 word post in rebuttal that uses strange grammar to look professional but really says nothing at all...

Ok everyone, points have been made. The club holds elections every year, the members vote and the person with the majority vote for each position is elected into the respective position.

Opinions and feed back are welcome throughout the year, and all are welcome to throw their hats into the ring come election time. But please, most of you are grow ups so lets stop with the childish petty little digs, comments, rumors and speculation, it does not reflect well on anyone or the club.

Like I said, constructive feed back and input is very welcome and accepted by the volunteer board. It would be nice to keep "club business" in the club business forum on the club web site. Or members with concerns can always PM me (Membership Chair)

So lets get back to actually posting observations, pictures, videos about coral, fish and reef tanks.

Thanks,
Nathan

Ok everyone, points have been made. The club holds elections every year, the members vote and the person with the majority vote for each position is elected into the respective position.

Opinions and feed back are welcome throughout the year, and all are welcome to throw their hats into the ring come election time. But please, most of you are grow ups so lets stop with the childish petty little digs, comments, rumors and speculation, it does not reflect well on anyone or the club.

Like I said, constructive feed back and input is very welcome and accepted by the volunteer board. It would be nice to keep "club business" in the club business forum on the club web site. Or members with concerns can always PM me (Membership Chair)

So lets get back to actually posting observations, pictures, videos about coral, fish and reef tanks.

Thanks,
Nathan

That be all well and good, but your club leader derailed the thread, and he rightly got called out for it.

Lets get back to discussing how terrible/not terrible RMS is.

That be all well and good, but your club leader derailed the thread, and he rightly got called out for it.

Lets get back to discussing how terrible/not terrible RMS is.

Yep, that's what i meant when i said "points have been made" but feel free to continue to make it........:deadhorse:

But please, most of you are grow ups so lets stop with the childish petty little digs, comments, rumors and speculation, it does not reflect well on anyone or the club.

Thanks,
Nathan

The same can be said for the club president taking digs at others. Like calling people internet heroes and such. Not to mention I feel he has taken a couple of digs at me me personally. Also there is a cordial way to say things (emails and posts) and not be confrontational most of the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back