RO/DI Algae ?

JVD BVI

Back up north I had my RO/Di hooked up in the basement. Here i Florida I set it up in my garage. Its been set up for a few months and I have noticed green algae in one of the canisters. Never had that happen before.

Any thoughts?

Guessing here, but are you sure this specific canister is water tight? if the seal is less than 100% and the water leaks out and air gets in, you could get algae. Make double sure this canister is water tight would be my suggestion.

I'm tagging along to see if anyone has any better explanation or ideas to avoid this.

Last edited:
Prob sediment since it hasn't gone through any filtration yet and may hit the sun enough with garage door open?

Just to add some info. The carbon block removes chlorine/chloramine, in other words, the disinfectant that is normally found in municipal water supplies. Normally algae isn't an issue, rather bacteria after the carbon block. However, if the canisters are getting enough light then I would imagine algae would begin to grow. It's good practice to bleach and thoroughly rinse your filter housing when you change out the media.

Its the second carbon block canister. I just set it up about 6 weeks ago. All canisters were thoroughly cleaned and all filters are brand new.

The canister was definitely on tight and I do not believe any direct sunlight is hitting any part of the entire RO/DI unit.

I have my rodi in the garage and have had green algea grow in the first canister, sediment filter. I just figured it was getting to much light from when the garage is open and that it was a sign to change it. Tds still measured 0 so didn't stress

I have dealt with the same issue, if exposed to light, I can grow algae in my sediment and carbon chambers but it never grows in my DI chambers. It IS fueled by light and the fast solution is clean them and cover it with a towel. Long term, you can switch out for solid canisters over clear ones. I just keep the towels on.

Waiting for the next sunny day to watch real close. If there are any rays hitting the canister I may just cover it as suggested.

Just a quick follow up, been watching for almost two weeks and can confirm there is no direct sunlight hitting this one canister.

The algae is slowing redeveloping.

I may need to drain that canister after every time I make water.

Can I clean off that carbon filter somehow ? Its only a few months old, hate to have to replace it already.

Just the normal use of the garage door might be enough but I can promise you light is getting there (does not have to be direct but plants require food and light) ;)
I would just give it a good clean under water, cover the canisters and the remainder will die off. Mine was a beautiful green, we have tons of phosphate in our water here in Fl supporting excellent algal growth.

Back