Ro/di filter help

Specfishin

So my ro/di needs filter changes. Other than faois, is there anywhere around new port richey, I can pick up what I might need. I just don't have the time today to drive down and I can get the resin if I have to later from faois. I didnt look but they may be closed today anyhow. I have a 5 stage spectra pure i changed the carbon block and pre floss filter but i'm at a loss for the inline filter on top and the middle carbon block filter. Seems like the filters may not be correct or in proper order. Any help to guide me is appreciated. Here's the order of my filters currently.
1. .5 micron filter
2. Carbon filter
3. Some refillable carbon filter
4. Di resin
5. Inline filter mounted on top??

Thanks again. Im kind of wondering if something is screwy lol.And yes I've searched a bit but kind of misleading me and rather experiences from here help out if possible.

The inline filter mounted on top sounds like the membrane to me.

Haha! You're absolutely right! It clearly states ro membrane (tfcs-90) right on the front. Doh! Thanks.

Anyone know if that needs replacing occasionally? And if it does, replace with same 90gpd? Or some upgrade. I run a booster as well.

Haha! You're absolutely right! It clearly states ro membrane (tfcs-90) right on the front. Doh! Thanks.

Anyone know if that needs replacing occasionally? And if it does, replace with same 90gpd? Or some upgrade. I run a booster as well.

The membrane does need replacing occasionally. It really depends on how much ro/di water you are making. Mine usually lasts about a year. I've always bought the same 24gpd membrane that my system came with. I'm not sure if you can upgrade it or not.

Drysdale in Land O' Lakes generally has filter cartridges and DI resin in stock. You would have to call and ask about membranes.

I was told that a quality membrane should last 3 years

The DI must and probably is located after the RO. A 90gpd RO is fine but only has a 90% rejection rate. Where as a 75gpd RO has a 98% rejection rate. So with a 75, you'll burn less DI. A quality RO membrane should last 3-5 years depending in quality of water, pressure, and if you're properly flushing it between use. If you do change to a different gpd membrane you have to change the flow restrictor located in the waste line coming from the RO membrane.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I think the order of your filters should be as below. Also, I strongly recommend that you get a bypass valve and install it between the membrane and the DI resin stages. This will greatly increase the life of your DI resin.

1. .5 micron filter
2. Carbon filter
3. Refillable carbon filter
4. Membrane
5. DI resin

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I think the order of your filters should be as below. Also, I strongly recommend that you get a bypass valve and install it between the membrane and the DI resin stages. This will greatly increase the life of your DI resin.

1. .5 micron filter
2. Carbon filter
3. Refillable carbon filter
4. Membrane
5. DI resin
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. It seems its all correct as you specified here. Its already got a bypass valve. I' ll just replace all existibg filters since its out of service at tbe moment. Thanks

Let's back up a little guys.

If you have a refillable carbon stage, I suspect it contains catalytic GAC to deal with chloramines. Do you have chloramines in your water? If not, get rid of the refillable carbon stage and replace it with a good carbon block.

There is no such thing as a 90 gpd membrane. It is a 75 gpd membrane with the label torn off, and the vendor tells you to run it at 10 psi higher than the manufacturer's spec. Guess what? If you run ANY Filmtec 75 gpd membrane at 60 psi rather than the factory spec of 50 psi it will produce 90 gpd.

A poster above mentioned a 90% rejection for 90 gpd membranes... That's not correct. This confusion stems from old Filmtec 100 gpd membranes that had a rejection rate of only 90% versus 98% for the 75 gpd. But as of a couple of years ago, Filmtec came out with a new 100 gpd membrane with a 98% rejection rate. If your vendor is still selling the old 90% version, I'd wonder how well they are keeping up with technical advances in the industry...

Russ

I'll update that i did end up ordering a lot from brs due to needing a new membrane. I did opt to pick up a bigger membrane and restrictor. I did use catalytic carbon and referred to some diagrams/ pics to help. All is working like a champ. This was do or die lol. I forgot how it sucked lugging water around.😂
I have this order and adding two more canisters since my pressure is high here.

1 micron sed
Carbon block
Refillable catalytic carbon cartridge
Ro membrane
Di cartridge

Thinking of a 5 micron in front of 1 micron
Maybe another carbon filter or second di? Ican always run the filter by itself in dual canister setup.

And thank you buckeye, a lot of this info i had to look for pretty hard and i ran across some of it due to me researching anything i get nowadays. Thanks again��

For convenience and improved performance (removal of chlorine/chloramine), and drastically reduced carbon fines reaching your membrane, you might want to think about a Chloraguard Carbon block rather than that CGAC cartridge.

Russ

Thinking of a 5 micron in front of 1 micron
The only reason we'd recommend this is if the 0.5 micron filter clogs quicker than you'd like.

If so, a placing a 5 micron sediment filter ahead of the 0.5 would spread the sediment load between two filters. The downside is you lose a little pressure with every prefilter (prefilter = any filter that touches the water prior to the membrane) you add.

Russ

Last edited:
Any membrane less than 99% rejection should be left to non di systems used outside of our hobby. Just my opinion of course but the money saved in di resin is much higher than the extra cost to upgrade membranes.

There's a company out there claiming to sell 99% rejection membranes - but they've also publicly stated that anything over 98% = 99% in their claims. Maybe this is some of that common core math?

Our MAXR membranes come with the same spec's, but we don't round up, and our prices are considerably more reasonable.

There's a company out there claiming to sell 99% rejection membranes - but they've also publicly stated that anything over 98% = 99% in their claims. Maybe this is some of that common core math?

Our MAXR membranes come with the same spec's, but we don't round up, and our prices are considerably more reasonable.
Haha, common core! Don't get me started on that subject!:fun2:

Back