RO Filters?

tomreefer

I am confused on what filters I need for my RO/DI

My town switches from Chlorine and Chloramines it looks like.

I have as of now sediment filter 0.5, 1 micron Chloramine Filter, 1 micron chlorine grabber than 98@ reject rate membrane than DI.

Would a chloramine grabber just remove chloramine or would it remove chlorine as well?

I am wondering if I need both filters.

Is your sediment filter 0.5 microns? Generally, the sediment filter should go first, and it should be at least the size of the carbon blocks (chloramine and chlorine filters), and generally larger-pored, to last longer, but maybe your water supply is very low in particulates.

The chloramine filter (which is an activated carbon filter) will convert chloramine to chloride, ammonia, and water, but there's a contact time issue. The carbon block will remove chlorine itself (not chloride). So that's why you definitely need the RO phase after the carbon blocks: to remove the ammonia, at least. The chloride will be small enough in quantity not to matter, but RO will remove it, too. I suspect that you'll be fine with just one of the two carbon blocks unless you have a very high-speed membrane.

from my understanding:

Sediment filters are for the bigger particles that are in your pipes like rust, heavy metals and soils... Unsure and others can correct me if I am wrong but most carbon blocks should filter chlorine and chloramine. Then you have your RO membrane which should be rated based on the GPH your unit can handle. DOW makes an exceptional ro membrane. lastly you have your DI media and here I like color changing so i know when its depleted and time to change out. just make sure you are getting fresh di media in mylar bags is best. hope this helps.

Back