Ro lingo, what is GAC filter?

flyhigh123

funky member
Granular Activated Carbon filter...

I was planning on buying a DI refilleable canister and filling it with Carbon instead of DI. Is that a GAC filter? This would be either stage 1 or 2 in the prefilter?

Yeah, granulated activated carbon. Why not just buy a carbon based pre filter cartridge. I'd think it'd be cheaper and work better...

Yeah, granulated activated carbon. Why not just buy a carbon based pre filter cartridge. I'd think it'd be cheaper and work better...

I was thinking the DI container is more cost effective as it is refillable and I can put more Carbon in it.

Is it the same? Why would that pre filter work better?

Seems to me the carbon prefilter will have more finely powdered carbon and would be more effective with the water only getting one pass thru it. More surface area and all that... And the mechanical filtration built into the cartridge would filter out even more sediment than your first stage filter cartridge. The RO membranes cost 5+ times what a carbon pre filter costs. I'm sure filling up with chunks of carbon would work, but I don't think it'd save you any money and might cost more over time.

Back