RO System Questions

randoma

We're moving to a new house, hopefully in the next 3-4 months. Our current house has well water that is very hard, but we do not use a softener (I hate the feel of soft water - it constantly feels soapy!) or any other treatment - TDS is around 300.

The new house has both a water softener and a chlorine tank (uses household bleach). I don't know what the incoming TDS is..

Where would you plumb the RODI unit? Before both water treatments, after softener, after chlorinator?

Also, has anyone replaced their RO filters with 20" either the Big Blue or the slimline? At least for the slimline filters it looks like you can go 6-12 months between filter changes and it looks like the cost ends up being about the same, maybe even slightly cheaper with the larger filters. Buckeye Hydro sells a light commercial system that uses a 300gpd (I think?) membrane and slimline filter housings, if I had higher water production, I could use RO water for the kitchen...

I dont have a chlorine tank but I am on well water with hard water. We have a big blue for the whole house as a sediment filter and then my ro system is plumbed separately from anything else in the house. From the well it goes to my pressure tank then to the big blue which has a 5 micron filter. Then it goes through my softener and rust remover tanks then to my RO system where I run 1 5 micron, 2 separate 1 micron filters before it goes to my tank and my TDS goes from approx 390 ppm to 2 ppm. Works fine for my tank.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I dont have a chlorine tank but I am on well water with hard water. We have a big blue for the whole house as a sediment filter and then my ro system is plumbed separately from anything else in the house. The big blue is a 5 micron and thenin the RO system I run 1 5 micron, 2 separate 1 micron filters before it goes to my tank and my TDS goes from approx 390 ppm to 2 ppm. Works fine for my tank.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Do you know what the TDS is coming out of the Big Blue?

I had, at one point, plumbed in three 10x2 filters on our incoming water line, I was running a 20 micron, 5 micron and then 1 micron carbon, but what I found was that after about two weeks the filters would start harboring iron bacteria and we'd get sulphur smells. Also, the three filters only reduced the TDS from 300ish to 250ish, so I stopped putting filters in... I mainly wanted to reduce the iron staining from the hard water, but they didn't help noticeably with that.

Ro unit always goes after softener..and should likely bypass the chlorine tank completely..

Prefilters typically dont reduce tds as dissolved solids are smaller than the pores on prefilters.
They remove sediment and chlorine/chloramines ,etc...
The ro membrane and di stage reduce/remove tds

Back