RO Unit Shut Off Switch?

ITR

Currently, I have a Kent 60gpd RO unit. I bought the float valve kit that comes with a shut off valve. Unfortunately, the shut off valve does not shut the water off from the house to the unit. The unit keeps producing waste water.

I run my set up a little differently than most. I am looking to put the shut off valve on the wast water container as I use my wastewater elsewhere, so the unit cannot continue to produce waste water or I have a flood. Right now, I am still turning the unit on manually.

A while back, I remember someone posting another component that is needed for what I am trying to accomplish. Basically, the shut off valve hooks up before the unit stopping the flow of water before it reaches it.

Anyone know what I am rambling about?

You need an automatic shut-off valve:
fit_asov

It is my understanding that impeding the flow of waste water in any way could shorten the life of the unit considerably, btu i didn't hear any specifics as to how or why, just "don't impede the waste water flow in any way"

that particular valve is avaliable from airwaterice, but i'm sure other retailers could supply the same thing, might even be able to find one at home depot or similar home improvement stores in the aisle with their water filters.

ro shut off

ro shut off

just ordered a aso valve from spectra pure myself just like the pic above part# vaso-4-jg $15.00 1-800-685-2783

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6932145#post6932145 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Safir
You need an automatic shut-off valve:
fit_asov

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I have that already and it is hooked up as suggested by Kent. Here's what I have and like I said, the waste water continues, but the RO water production stops, so it doesn't shut it off at the source.

This is what I have: http://www.kentmarine.com/waterfilters/fv.html

What am I missing? Do I still need the above in addition to what I already have.

If the search function worked at all for me today, I am sure I could find the post where someone posted something that looked different or maybe I was dreaming this up.

it should turn off the water if hooked up correctly......is it just an RO or does it have a DI also....did it come with a one way check valve?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6932986#post6932986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mm949
it should turn off the water if hooked up correctly......is it just an RO or does it have a DI also....did it come with a one way check valve?

It's an RODI Maxxima Hi S unit.

As far as the check valve, I don't know. I just bought the float valve setup thinking this would solve my problem. Maybe, I have to hook it up differently.

The float valve is actually meant to attach to the RODI water line and not the waste water line, so I don't know if by my having it on the waste water line affects the shut off valve.

When I get off my lazy rear-end, I will try to figure this out.

I just thought I remember seeing something else posted, but....I could just be mental. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress lately. :eek2:

I'm a bit confused. I understand you are capturing your waste water and want to fill a container and shut of fthe unit when the waste water container is full.
Where is the RO water going? Are you not filling something with it as well?
What about putting the float on the DI output so whatever you're filliung with RO doesn't overflow and an electonic shut off (a float switch that is connected to a solenoid that is in-line on the supply tubing) to shut the unit off completely if the wastewater container fills?

I am not sure if you got it hooked up correctly but it should cut off the water suply to the unit. my ro/di has that same valve and it shuts off the water 3 or 4 minutes after I shut off the ro/di output water. in the instructions for my unit it says it is common for the valve to not work at first due to air pockets in the valve but it should start working after a day or two when the air gets desolved into the water.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6933882#post6933882 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twkenny
I'm a bit confused. I understand you are capturing your waste water and want to fill a container and shut of fthe unit when the waste water container is full.
Where is the RO water going? Are you not filling something with it as well?
What about putting the float on the DI output so whatever you're filliung with RO doesn't overflow and an electonic shut off (a float switch that is connected to a solenoid that is in-line on the supply tubing) to shut the unit off completely if the wastewater container fills?

RODI water is going into a 55 gallon plastic drum. I end up using about 10 gallons a day in top off. I don't think the drum has even been close to full in the 2 years I have had it, so there is no use in having the float on the RODI output. My wastewater containers will obviously fill up much faster and I only want the unit running if they have space for water to go in.

I think my problem is that I am using the float/cut off switch opposite for the way it was intended. I need to re-evaluate how this should but hooked up for my needs.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6933935#post6933935 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasonkola
I am not sure if you got it hooked up correctly but it should cut off the water suply to the unit. my ro/di has that same valve and it shuts off the water 3 or 4 minutes after I shut off the ro/di output water. in the instructions for my unit it says it is common for the valve to not work at first due to air pockets in the valve but it should start working after a day or two when the air gets desolved into the water.

This is good information that I was not aware of. Maybe I will give it a little while before I dismantle and reassemble everything.

also the directions for my ro/di unit say it is important not to restrict the wast water in any way. if you are hooking the float switch to the waste water it may hurt the syatem.

Back