RO Water & Band Saw = Tough on coral frags

BobbyV

Established since 2008
I chose to frag up some really nice WWC Money Shot Montipora.

I used RO Water with my band saw which I have had many times in the past.

RO water is easier on the equipment long term. The manufacture also encourages you to use it.

However to my surprise, my expensive to me ($100) coral browned out within an hour of being fragged up. Crazy.

So did the RO water have an ill affect, I did not rinse the coral in RO, just make note of my experience. We are always learning in this hobby, so allow my experiences together with yours to help everyone willing to follow these threads.

Would you keep using RO water to prolong the life of your equipment or use saltwater to make it less stressful on the coral?

Maybe this particular coral is extremely sensitive.

BobbyV -

Use saltwater, take the extra time rinse your saw with fresh water when your done. Like the motor on your boat. Coming from me , who probably wouldnt take the time. :)

Always use saltwater to cut corals. Rinsing the saw is much easier than throwing away frags. IMO anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know several people in the business that cut hundreds of corals everyday. Literally hundreds every day of the week. They all use saltwater straight from their tank.

I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. My reef club bought a wet band saw made to cut corals (if you google "coral cutting band saw" the model will come up), anyway, the club always uses fresh water to cut frags and never seawater. I know because I asked as I was watching them cut up a beautiful Chalice coral just yesterday. He didn't tell me why but even announced to the crowd to only use "fresh water" whatever that meant.

Good luck!

Back