RO water vs distilled

Could I run chateau in it? It's essentially an enclosed fuge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, chaeto requires light and you wouldn't be able to get enough in there that would help anyway.

Just take it out the sponge, you shouldn't need to run anything else in there.

It won't mess up your parameters. And it isn't the distilled water that is helping your nitrate go down, it is the water change where you are replacing your 40 ppm water with 0 ppm water (which happens to be salt mixed into distilled water).

With that said, it is much cheaper in the long run to get an RO/DI system of your own. Distilled water is expensive, and you can get a quality RO/DI unit for $200 bucks (BRS or Marine Depot systems work great). Do the math and figure out how many water changes with distilled water it will take for you to break even on that RO/DI unit and the choice becomes clear.

This.

Could I run chateau in it? It's essentially an enclosed fuge

Yeah I was determined to make my canister filter work in this hobby as well. Saw a YouTube video of a guy that drilled a whole in the top and put a submersible LED in.

But in reality these things in relation to work/benefit ratio were way higher on the work scale....plus the saltwater can mess with the seals....mine flooded the house 2ce. I said eff it. Sold it. Used the money I got an bought a skimmer.

Stuff can collect at the bottom in the creases where flow isn't as high. Stuff could be getting stuck in your LR rubble causing it to decay overtime.

I hate to say it but you might just want to store it away and use it as a reactor when needed or Keep it incase you ever want to do freshwater. But they are more work then they are worth... you would honestly be better off without it and just doing 10% water changes every week.

Good luck on the battle keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I've thought about taking it off multiple times considering I have a skimmer and 3/4 of my live rock is well established. I'll try it and see. Thanks for the replies

Back