Rock anemones......... how big do they get

trinidiver

I have 9 rock anemones (different colors) in my reef tank but never thought they get soo big. I still love them though. When i first got them about 9mths ago, they were about3-5".....................................now, the biggest is 7-8" when fully spread now. All of them are on the sandbed. Anyone has any info on how big they can actually get in a reef tank? And just imagine i've never spot fed them. Whatever food they get is what the fish didnt get in time

My 2 are about 5" at their largest.
By on your sandbed, do you mean they anemones themselves are in the sand, or the rocks they are attached to are at the bottom of the tank?

My 2 are about 5" at their largest.
By on your sandbed, do you mean they anemones themselves are in the sand, or the rocks they are attached to are at the bottom of the tank?

yes all are literally living in the sandbed.....................

Attachments

• pics from ipad 1086.jpg
    pics from ipad 1086.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1
  • pics from ipad 1087.jpg
    pics from ipad 1087.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1
  • pics from ipad 1088.jpg
    pics from ipad 1088.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1
  • pics from ipad 1090.jpg
    pics from ipad 1090.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1
  • pics from ipad 1091.jpg
    pics from ipad 1091.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1
My little eyes spy at least some Phymanthus anemones, do they?
I've always referred to them as "sand anemone"... Isn't there a Phymanthus crusifer in that 2nd picture? I'm not that familiar with them, but I have one. It's approx. 6" now, and very active...

^^^^^^ When i bought all 9 of them from my LFS, they were sold to me as rock anemones. There were over 30 of them in a big tank and i just chose out the colors i wanted....................... I could be wrong, but can anyone else chime in?

In the 2 months I have had mine it went from 3-4 inches to 5-6 inches. I just bought a second one for my tank that is roughly 4 inces.

I guess once you keep feeding you fish often they get the scraps and grow. I actually want to start feeding them to see what groth they shoul get

Just compared yours to mine, and seems that mine has tentacles all over, yours only on the edges.
Here is a pic f that 6" nem of mine... It's actually more radiant, but my iPhone can't show it...

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1
Back