RocketEngineer's 75g/125g Setup

A really neat looking sponge:
LifePics003.jpg

A feather duster:
LifePics002.jpg

It's amazing how interesting a tank with just live rock can be. I think I stared at my aquarium more during the first few weeks just looking at the neat stuff growing on the rocks than I do now with my fully established tank.

Your tank looks like it's off to a great start! Your DIY plans for a tank stand were invaluable when I had to build my own!

Thanks folks for the comments.

ludnix,
I only took other peoples good ideas and put them all in one place. Folks seem to like that thread, I'm not sure why....:spin2:

Greenmaster,
My 30g has a pair of clowns, a yellow wrasse, and two firefish. Eventually I hope to add a kole tang but not sure what else will go into it.

Folks,
I have some really big pictures my dad took with his SLR of the stand being pieced together. Does anyone know of a free program I can use to make them smaller files? Right now they are 3-4Mb per pic while the ones coming off my camera are less then 1Mb.

Well its been a while since I updated folks so here are some pics for you viewing pleasure.

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

The diatom bloom seems to have stablized and the pods are crawling on the glass so overall things are progressing as they should.

It came in on a piece of LR when I set up my 30g. Its really neat looking plus when I pull out pieces it removes nutrients from the tank. And since the algae eating fish won't eat it, it can grow in the display while the cheato in the sump would get eaten. Works well and looks nice; a good combination all around.

Well, I picked up a second MJ-900 for the other side of the tank. The pod population has bloomed nicely and the diatoms have died back. Overall things are looking good.

I had a pair of double fluorescent fixtures when the 75g was an african cichlid tank. Well, since they have both died, I decided to hide the shop light in one. Much better then resting the shop light on the edge of the tank since it was resting on the bulbs. I will probubly do the same with the second light once the 30g has been combined.

Current state of affairs:
AdjustedImages006.jpg

Next few things to buy are the skimmer and MJ upgrade kits.

For those interested in the assembly process:
The jig:
MorticingJig-Small.jpg

This, plus a radial arm saw resulted in:
StandPieces-Small.jpg

Assebly used a slew of bar clamps as well as assembly squares:
FrameTwo-1-Small.jpg

FrameOne-3-Small.jpg

FrameOne-2-Small.jpg

FrameOne-1-Small.jpg

Spent this rainy afternoon installing and setting up my AC3 Pro.
Controller001.jpg

Controller003.jpg

The AC3 Pro controlls the main and refugium lights as well as a pair of heaters. The heaters are set up so that one will go off at 76.5F and the other at 75.5F with the heater themselves set at 79F. That way, the controller is trying to get the tank to 77F but if the temperature probe gets knocked loose, the heaters will turn themselves off before the tank can overheat.

RocketEngineer

<---- Jealous... not sure if I can get one or not... did you chose the AC3 over the Apex or is that just what you got cause that is what was available?

Greenmaster,
I picked up the AC3 Pro from Los for 220 since he had upgraded his system to the Apex. Since it would cost more to get an AC Jr. I took him up on the deal. The only outstanding issue I have is whether the temp probe is reading right. Readout says 75, one thermometer says 79, another says 77. Nothing agrees so which is right? Always something.

James404,
I love the stand. When I designed it, I made it able to take my next upgrades so I wouldn't have to build another.

RocketEngineer

Back