RocketEngineer's 75g/125g Setup

Greenmaster,
...Readout says 75, one thermometer says 79, another says 77. Nothing agrees so which is right? Always something...

I work with refrigeration so I learned this trick... Take a cup put some crushed Ice in it then put in some water put in the thermometer and wait for 1-3 min... The thermometer should read 32 the water temp will be right at the phase change point. Then at least you will know what one works :D

Hey Rocket,

Nice build. I am building my own stand and it will be on hardwood flooring (after I lay it). I was wondering what you had put down between the stand and the flooring. I thought I saw some material under the stand in your first few posts.

Thanks!

Very nice construction with the stand, I really like how you build those joints. I know they are not easy to get just right, but are super strong. I tried doing it but didn't have the drill press so had to go a different route.

Greenmaster, I will give that a try. Didn't think the controller could read that low but it can read below freezing.

MentalNote, Those are the cedar shakes I used to get the tank level. Otherwise there is nothing between the stand and the floor.

DanMgy, Since my father had the setup he built the structure for me. If he didn't have the moticing jig, we would have used the Kreg's pocket hole setup to assemble the structure. We did use the Kregs setup to strengthen the oak paneling and doors.

RocketEngineer

The temp is stabilized at 77 according to the controller. For now, stability will have to do better then accuracy.

I got my maxi-jet upgrade kits and skimmer. The upgrade kits are the Sure-Flow 1600 kits and were super easy to install on the new MJ900. When I went to put the older encrusted MJ900 onto the swivel mount, coraline algae got in the way so that went into a vinager bath for the night. So far, I like the flow from the one thats in and working.

The skimmer is the new cone neck Reef Octopus 150 with the gate valve. For now, its running very low til it breaks in.

SkimmerInstall004.jpg

SkimmerInstall005.jpg

SkimmerInstall006.jpg

The skimmer has started to break in. Its been throwing microbubbles into the tank but I think that will go away as it breaks in more. The powerhead upgrades sure make a big difference.

Looking at my tank this evening, I noticed a small snail crawling across the sand.
006-1.jpg

Any Ideas?

LET THERE BE FOAM!

Only a few days running and the skimmer has already pulled out a cup full of light colored uglyness. With nothing in the tank but LR and associated critters, I have been feeding the tank on occasion. I put a cube into the tank and in less then an hour, the skimmer had a nice foam head.

The powerheads have suprised me twice now. They have both pulled air in and shot out a mess of bubbles. Since they are probubly four inches under water, I'm amazed they have that much pull.

The LR has a nice light brown coating. Things are progressing slowly but progressing.

RocketEngineer

How do you catch a sand-dwelling wrasse?

How do you catch a sand-dwelling wrasse?

One scoop at a time.

1) Wait until after lights out on the 30g.
2) Direct female clownfish into specimen container.
3) Transfer female clownfish into tank bucket.
4) Direct male clownfish into specimen container.
5) Transfer male clownfish into tank bucket.
6) Pull out rock that one of the firefish lives in and shake in tank bucket until firefish leaves rock.
7) Ignore dirty look from sleep-disturbed firefish.
8) Place tank bucket with fish next to 75g and start acclimation drip
9) Pull rock out of 30g and place into second tank bucket
10) Transfer rock into 75g
11) Panic while second firefish flops around in the quarter inch of water on bottom of bucket
12) Drip water all over the floor between the two tanks trying to get more water into the bucket
13) Spend 10 minutes trying to get a 2" fish into specimen container
14) Transfer second firefish into acclimation bucket
15) Remove remaining rock from 30g and place in 75g
16) Arrange rock in 75g
17) Clean up puddles of water from floor and stand
18) Transfer clownfish and firefish to 75g.
19) Remove sand from 30g and transfer to tank bucket
a) scoop sand from tank with specimen container to short tank bucket
b) scoop sand out of short bucket into tall bucket
c) repeat
20) Look in cloudy 30g and wonder "WTH, I know the wrasse isn't in the buckets and there can't be but a 1/4" of sand left anywhere"
21) Dig in tank stuff for net.
22) Sweep up remaining sand into net.
23) Scoop up last pile of sand and ONE YELLOW WRASSE.
24) Transfer wrasse to the specimen container
25) Transfer wrasse to 75g

Yup, I got all 5 fish into the 75g. Took me the whole sum total of 20 minutes to get the clownfish and firefish but took me almost an hour to catch that one wrasse. The 30g is so cloudy I can't see 2" into it but the only thing left in it is the sand.

TanksCombined016.jpg

TanksCombined018.jpg

This morning, I moved the powerheads into the back corners. They look 10X better but i need to figure out something for between the two islands. Maybe some of the smaller rocks in the sand.

Yellow coris wrasses are great fish....until you have to move them from one tank to the next! haha. I went through the same crap trying to catch mine and move it from my old 33g to my 40breeder.

Nice build, btw. it's coming along very nicely

cody6766,
This is the second time moving the wrasse. The first time I was also moving the 30g out of the livingroom into the kitchen when I re-sanded the hardwood floors. The trick I used then was I drained the tank down then scooped out the fish. This time I didn't drain the 30g since I used it to rinse out the sand AFTER the fish were out.

RocketEngineer

When I get a bigger house.....

Actually, I designed it to fit everything I want with the 75g inside. The 5g top-off bucket, sump, and eventual calcium reactor with CO2 tank all fit under the stand. With the doors closed its all hidden in the stand. Eventually I may use it for a 125g reef or if I build a larger system it would support a 125g clown loach tank (one of my favorites).

I transfered the sand from the 30g to the 75g. While it made the tank really cloudy, a few hours laters its almost totally clear. The skimmer is working hard to pull the gunk out of the water. We will see what the morning brings.

RocketEngineer

Its funny how things always seem to bunch together. Last night my ATO showed up from Aquahub as well as yesterday being the release date for StarCraft 2. So, I built the ATO in between missions. The ATO is controlling an aqualifter pump which drains into the refugium. The one funny problem I had was that the airline tubing in the ATO bucket wanted to float so I drilled a pair of holes in a piece of PVC pipe to act as a weight. At this point my tank is as automated as I want. Now its just a matter of letting things progress and start adding little things like a few snails and more fish.

RocketEngineer

Very well though out design. I am following along.

BTW how is Starcraft 2? I was holding out for some reviews :fun2:

A couple update pics.

Top-Off bucket:
014.jpg

Completed Sump
015.jpg

The cheato is growing like made. I will probubly pull out a chunk this weekend.

RocketEngineer

Stand and setup are really very nice, clean and well thought out! I wish I had thought ahead and built my stand 1 foot longer. That way I could just drop a 120g tank on it without any problems since the stand is already 36" x 24". Oh well, I don't really mind the wood working part!

Good luck with it.

Do you have any fish that would enjoy eating the cheato? Most don't but some do. When you prune it you might want to put a piece up top and let the fish decide :D

trb, I went a little farther then most on my planning.....

tankmodel75gperspective.jpg

tankmodel75gperspectiveopen.jpg

tankmodel75gfrontopen.jpg

Since I work with SolidWorks all day, I decided to model the setup and include all the pieces I could. So far, it has paid off with things fitting the way I planned.

Greenmaster,
I will take the ball I pull out and shake it into the tank to try to get the pods out but the cheato itself will probubly just get trashed. But then again, if I get a tang things may change.

Back