RocketEngineer's 75g/125g Setup

Time will tell. Keeping up the good practices is always a challenge.

With the recent changes the look inside the stand has changed so I decided to expose the dark underbelly of my tank:

What has changed? Well first, NO MORE LEGOS! :bounce3: I replaced that a while ago just never got around to taking a picture. The 5 gallon bucket RDSB on the right is the single biggest change as it required a stand of its own as well as the supply pump. Last the controller for the new pump was mounted in center but got in the way for removing the skimmer cup so I repositioned it off to the side.

No, I think its the "workings" side of things vs the "show" side. Kind of like wanting to look under the hood of a car. I know I spend good chunks of time watching the refugium after the display goes dark. All sorts of critters in there.

Everything appears to be ticking over nicely at the moment.

One thing that has returned:

I've started to see several different types of algae return including this one and the halimeda. Time to put the kalk reactor back online.

I've also had a noisy MP10 the last week or so. I'm hoping a bath in hot water and vinegar will fix the problem

BUBBLES! :bounce3:

Wait, what? NO! YES! FINALLY!

Wait, what? NO! YES! FINALLY!

Since the backyard fence project is finished I figured I would take some time today and work on the tank. First thing's first, check how the nitrates are before the water change.

Result:

Wait, What? That can't be right........ Lets try this again.

Test Two:

Well I guess that is right. YES!

It would appear that the RDSB has done its job as I have zero nitrates according to this very crude test kit. I had planned to go to Dr. Mac's for a few more turbos to help with the lingering algae issues but now it appears I may pick up a single small test coral.

Progress.

I refilled my ATO this afternoon. After turning it back on I noticed that I had very little flow so I fiddled with the pump thinking I had trapped air but the timer cut out before it really improved much. Not thinking much of it, I left the system alone. Yet all afternoon I kept hearing it run every hour for the full 15 minutes and the sump was only about half replenished by dinner time. That's not right:confused:. Knowing something was wrong I pulled the whole thing apart and found a long hair wrapped in lint stuck in the valve:mad2:. Got that out and it works much better now but it appears that a hair threaded through the check valve :headwally:. Its always something.

The production of my skimmer suddenly dropped off over the last couple of weeks so I took the time last night to see what the issue was. Turns out there not one, but THREE problems with the skimmer.

The first was a kinked air line tube. This was probably why it was making more noise than it should. Unfortunately the tubing was kinked so bad that it wouldn't return to its original shape so I had to cut about an inch off the end. Luckily there was still enough slack to run it to the muffler but if it happens again I may need to get a replacement.

The second issue was a nearly blocked venturi. There was a significant build up of salt creep but also a layer of calcium carbonate that I think came from the skimmer pulling in kalkwasser. I get the same buildup on the top of the first sump baffle.

But the third issue is much more problematic, a split impeller magnet:angryfire:. For now I will use the split one but I will be ordering a replacement.

Proof that regular maintenance is key to keeping our systems running by finding issues before they are catastrophic.

Oh, and I've added 8 new corals to the tank. Pictures to follow.

Its always something. But at least you caught it. How did the air line get kinked? Was something leaning on it?

Looking forward to be coral pics!

Its always something. But at least you caught it. How did the air line get kinked? Was something leaning on it?

Looking forward to be coral pics!

No kidding. But I don't mind too much as it keeps things from becoming tedious.

The air line barb fitting is on the side of the venturi while the tubing routes upwards to the muffler. I think what happened is I pulled the tubing too tight and because it was zip tied to the leg of the skimmer it couldn't go back, leading to the kink becoming set in the tubing. I've since removed the zip tie so the tubing is free to bend gradually up to the muffler.

As requested, here are pictures of the first corals of this new generation.

The test coral and my new green brain and candy cane:

Electric Brain:

Monti:

Acro:

Acan Atoll:

Here is a snapshot with all three fish and all the corals.

While it is nice to see things turn around I'm saddened by what I have lost. It is the start of the next generation of corals, lets hope these do as good in this system as they did in the 75g.

Yes, we have an interesting hobby in that few other hobbies have such a high degree of disasters (failures) yet folks keep at it. I think part of that persistence is the incredible beauty we can duplicate in our tanks when we get things right and the challenge we face in relation to the complexity of success. I applaud you for your dedication. It is inspiring to observe.

I think there are two main reasons for me to stick with the hobby. The first is that I've succeeded once. More than anything that kind of proves that I can get there again. It's just a matter of time and good practices and I can probably do better than before. The second reason is the investment of time and money I've put into the system over the last several years isn't something I'm going to throw away easily.

I will say I've started seeing signs I'm on the right track. Last night most of the new corals had feeding tentacles out which I take to be a sign they are settling in.

ATO Issue Round 2

ATO Issue Round 2

A couple weeks ago I noticed that my ATO was running really slow because the check valve was full of lint. Well Monday night I was checking my skimmer and happened to see that the kalk reactor was almost empty. :confused: It turned out that the check valve was no longer working so when the ATO cut off the kalk reactor backflowed into the ATO bucket. :mad2: After manually topping off the tank, I cut the check valve apart and found that it was FULL of crud. I never had these problems before so as a temporary fix I've installed a cheap check valve in line and will keep an eye on it. Once the impellers come in, I will be including a new peristaltic pump to my Avast Marine order and go back to what I had. We will see if their new one really is as quite as they claim.

Back