Rodi makes less than half of the advertised amount. Advice needed

ReefPharmer

Hey guys and gals
I bought a 90gpd spectrapure rodi expecting to make 90gpd :).
Long story short, my water pressure is 40psi and that equals out to maybe 40 gpd. http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

They recommended a booster pump for 150$ but since I'm using food grade containers w a float valve, I have to manually turn the pump off when I make enough water . I know there are some pressure sensors that can be used but am not sure whether it would work for me.
As a side note , the rodi set up apparently does not have a auto shutoff valve so the water just keeps running and running into waste when The containers are filled

from what I've read, a lower psi will actually produce better water over the long run and have a better rejection rate. Seems like the chloramines reject better with lower psi. Check out bulk reef supply's site for the video they did on chloramine rejection test.

I've had two different ro/di units over the last few years and neither of them produced half the amount advertised. One of them was an aquafx 100gpd that maybe made 40 a day and the other a brs 300gpd that might make 100 to 125 gallons a day. I've never found a good answer to this but have just accepted it.

Check out the AquaticLife Smart Buddie Booster Pump. One review on Marine Depot said it shut off once his reservoir was full.

My 75gpd membrane from buckeye hydro actually produces more than 75gpd at 60psi. You will want a booster pump if your not getting at least 60psi or the reccomended psi rated for the membrane.

Are you in a house or apartment?
If you are in a house, find out the location of your water pressure valve and adjust it to 60-70 PSI. Never exceed 70 PSI. Constant high pressure can damage plumping.

I ran the booster pump for a few minutes yesterday as a quick test, and I am not sure why I waited so long to buy one. I ended up with 1 gallon of RODI to 2 gallons of waste which is a whole lot better than 1 to 4.

Alton,
Unless you have Very Soft Water you could be asking for trouble @ a 2-1 ratio.
4-1 ratio is there for a reason, check with one of the sponsors here on RC.
The Filter Guys, Spectrapure or Buckeye Hydro.

Alton,
Unless you have Very Soft Water you could be asking for trouble @ a 2-1 ratio.
4-1 ratio is there for a reason, check with one of the sponsors here on RC.
The Filter Guys, Spectrapure or Buckeye Hydro.

My TDS without the pump is 15ppm, with the pump 13 to 14 before the DI canister. I have ordered a new membrane, filters, and flow restrictor because at 15ppm I am eating DI resin way to fast.

TDS & Soft water are 2 different things, if you are on well water it could be CO2 in the water eating up the DI.
When I went 2 -1 they sent me a hardness test kit to check my water.

My rural water supply company has Chloramines so I run two filters just for Chloramines so the CO2 should be gone, I have been running this setup since 2003. Before I ran two filters for Chloramines I went through DI every 100 gallons. In the last several years My incoming TDS was around a 100, my TDS before DI was 2, and my DI lasted forever. This year we had a bunch of rain so the major water district pumped hard water from one aquifer to an aquifer that is soft water which messed up everything including my membrane. I am ordering another with all new filters since the TDS is slowly but surely going back down as things get back to normal. Unless you live in Houston or Dallas water is a giant issue here in Texas. Individuals are selling off there water rights just like mineral rights to large cities and water districts. (sorry I got off topic)

My rural water supply company has Chloramines so I run two filters just for Chloramines so the CO2 should be gone, I have been running this setup since 2003. Before I ran two filters for Chloramines I went through DI every 100 gallons. In the last several years My incoming TDS was around a 100, my TDS before DI was 2, and my DI lasted forever. This year we had a bunch of rain so the major water district pumped hard water from one aquifer to an aquifer that is soft water which messed up everything including my membrane. I am ordering another with all new filters since the TDS is slowly but surely going back down as things get back to normal. Unless you live in Houston or Dallas water is a giant issue here in Texas. Individuals are selling off there water rights just like mineral rights to large cities and water districts. (sorry I got off topic)

What filters do you run to remove chloramines?

And to the OP, Spectrapure sells a booster pump. I use one as my pressure was low. You can dial it in to get the exact pressure you want. Well worth it.

The 4:1 ratio is there to keep the membrane from clogging up prematurely, that 4 gal waste is cleaning the membrane also.

Back