RODI opinions

joeyf

So I am kicking around the idea of getting an RODI unit to save myself the hassle of hauling 5 gallon bottles to get refilled. I'm torn, though. I like the idea of the MaxCap system with all of the bells and whistles, but the price seems a little absurd at $100+ over other options. I also wonder how necessary all of it is. I've been eyeing the Typhoon III (ordered w/ 75 gpd membrane for the higher rejection rate), and I'm content with that pricing. I am fine with monitoring TDS readings manually, and I can add a dual meter for $30, if it really bothered me. Am I missing some other magical feature aside from a pressure gauge and some TDS meters that makes the MaxCap worth that much more?

I will also be using this for RO drinking water, so if anyone has a different suggestion than the 2 I'm looking at, it needs a RO only output. Doesn't need a tank, as it's going in my laundry room, and I'll be filling buckets/bottles manually.

I picked up a used BRS 5 stage 75gpd system. I had a booster pump and an extra housing so I turned it into a 6 stage. For me a booster pump was a great addition. It increased my output and decreased my waste. Right now I am in a rental so my setup is manual. Once my house is finished I will have an automatic setup.

As a side note with the RO drinking water, look into a re-mineralizer/ pH balancer cartridge. It will add back in some the minerals you need that are stripped out. My wife was having some health issues and adding the re-mineralizer helped her a bunch.

I gotta say, having SpectraPure in the valley, with Jeremy a phone call away with help, advice and parts, made it an easy choice for me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I have owned different brands and the Spectrapure is the best one yet. If you are concerned with price get the refurbished 4 stage for $130 and if your water pressure is below 70 psi a booster pump that you would plumb between the carbon filter and the membrane

If you have a water softener it will extend the life of the membrane, if you don't buy a flush kit, and use it before and after you use the filter ( it will reduce the amount of calcium scaling on the membrane)

I have owned different brands and the Spectrapure is the best one yet. If you are concerned with price get the refurbished 4 stage for $130 and if your water pressure is below 70 psi a booster pump that you would plumb between the carbon filter and the membrane

If you have a water softener it will extend the life of the membrane, if you don't buy a flush kit, and use it before and after you use the filter ( it will reduce the amount of calcium scaling on the membrane)

I'm totally willing to spend the extra if the Spectrapure MaxCap system is worth the difference. No water softener, I'm renting currently. The MaxCap has the manual flush valve, that's what you're referring to, right?

I picked up a used BRS 5 stage 75gpd system. I had a booster pump and an extra housing so I turned it into a 6 stage. For me a booster pump was a great addition. It increased my output and decreased my waste. Right now I am in a rental so my setup is manual. Once my house is finished I will have an automatic setup.

As a side note with the RO drinking water, look into a re-mineralizer/ pH balancer cartridge. It will add back in some the minerals you need that are stripped out. My wife was having some health issues and adding the re-mineralizer helped her a bunch.

Is there a particular cartridge you'd recommend?

Been happy customer to Spectrapure past 6 years and best part is I support local family own business and can walk into Spectrapure any time a week and get best support and buy new filters.

I'm totally willing to spend the extra if the Spectrapure MaxCap system is worth the difference. No water softener, I'm renting currently. The MaxCap has the manual flush valve, that's what you're referring to, right?

Yes. I have manual flush on mine. I have had my membrane for about 2 years. I will probably get a new one in another year. Even with flushing the membrane the water in Phoenix is very hard on membranes unless you run a water softener before the filter

My TDS ranges from 600-800 ppm depending on the time of year

I'm glad you guys have had good dealings with spectrapure, and I'm one for supporting a local business. I have several of their products and they are high quality products. Seems like every time I call them all I get is their voicemail. They say leave a message and someone will call you back. Nope never happened. I left 6 messages never received a call back. On my seventh try I was lucky that someone answered the phone. I'm in cave creek, so stopping in isn't easy, plus I was told to make an appointment and to not just show up because there might not be someone there. Like I said they make great products, I've been disappointed with their customer service.

I was told to make an appointment and to not just show up because there might not be someone there.
For the past 5 years I've always gone straight to their office when I've needed something, and never once have I had an issue walking in the door and getting what I need during their normal business hours. I do know their assembly techs work a slightly different schedule and leave about an hour before close.

For the past 5 years I've always gone straight to their office when I've needed something, and never once have I had an issue walking in the door and getting what I need during their normal business hours. I do know their assembly techs work a slightly different schedule and leave about an hour before close.

Agreed! They have been great to me also.

I have also always gotten through. It is not good that you have not had their awesome service.

Same here, I've been dealing with them for over 8 yrs and never had a problem calling or going to their office. Theyve actually stayed after hours for me to pick up my order as well!

Is it worth the extra $? most definite! I've installed many spectrapure units for customers and everyone's been happy with the results. If there are any problem I can't fix, we would bring the unit down to the office and they would help resolve it fairly quick!

I'm really glad to hear that their customer service is great, especially since it's a local company. The more I looked around and read up on the diffferent units the more I realized that spectrapure is quality. I think I might be getting a MaxCap for myself for Christmas. LOL

I have both their automatic water change unit and ATO unit. Both have been rock solid. Well worth the money. When I first purchased them, I spoke with Jeremy and told him I was going to be building a house and that I wanted some of their other products to automate my RO/DI process. He said to call in and schedule a time to come in. That's what I was trying to do.

So, I bit the bullet and got a Spectrapure MaxCap 90 gpd. Before I install it, I just wanted to make sure of a couple things...

It comes with both a 2:1 and a 3:1 rejection fitting for the membrane, and it says that I'm supposed to use the 3:1 if the supply water's hardness is above 180. I haven't tested yet, but knowing AZ's water, should I just use the 3:1 by default?

As for a 'DI bypass', since the MaxCap doesn't come with one, do I simply T off the the RO product line, before the first DI input? Obviously I would run a line with a valve off the output, but do I need any sort of check valve or other connections after the T, before the DI? I won't be connecting this to a tap, I'll be filling 5g bottles for my water dispenser.

So, I bit the bullet and got a Spectrapure MaxCap 90 gpd. Before I install it, I just wanted to make sure of a couple things...

It comes with both a 2:1 and a 3:1 rejection fitting for the membrane, and it says that I'm supposed to use the 3:1 if the supply water's hardness is above 180. I haven't tested yet, but knowing AZ's water, should I just use the 3:1 by default?

As for a 'DI bypass', since the MaxCap doesn't come with one, do I simply T off the the RO product line, before the first DI input? Obviously I would run a line with a valve off the output, but do I need any sort of check valve or other connections after the T, before the DI? I won't be connecting this to a tap, I'll be filling 5g bottles for my water dispenser.

Yes, you can only use the 2:1 if you have a water softener.

All I did for a DI bypass is what you mentioned, I installed a "T" valve before the DI filters and use that to fill 5 gallon bottles for the family dispenser. I do not have any check valves, and was shown how to do it in the Spectrapure office.

I wouldn't run less than 3/1. I run mine at 4/1. The lower the ratio the quicker the membrane will foul. Water is cheap compared to a new membrane

I run a 3 way valve after the membrane to make drinking water and a check valve ( this will prevent TDS creep).

If the incoming water pressure is below 70 psi I would also get a pressure booster pump. The higher your water pressure the more efficient the membrane will be. Both water production and % of TDS removed

Back