Rodi question...

flchevygrl

Looking at getting an rodi setup
Whats the difference between brs 6 stage rodi with water saver vs. the aquaFX barracuda model?
I mean other than price what's the difference?
And replacement filter costs?

anyone use one or the other rodi systems?

tia

They're all basically the same, just depends how many filters you want to run. The filters are pretty much universal to fit most cylinders. Depends how crappy your water is. You'll want a dual TDS meter on it & a pressure gauge to verify it's running at the proper operating pressure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have an aqua FX barracuda. It is a great machine and works very good. The filters for all three are approximately $70. The good thing about this it's a local company it's right out of Wintergarden here in Florida it's not like you have to order anything and wait for to come in the mail. I Had a 50 gallon membrane and I bought 100 gallon membrane and they give you the regulator for free or flurry stricter. Great company great customer service

They're all basically the same,

That's no where near true. You get what you pay for. Membranes differ vastly in their waste water to produced water ratio, how many GPD can be produced. Pre and post filters differ vastly in quality and life. Automatation that can be applied to the unit. Why would you skimp on the most important aspect of running a reef tank - that being clean water that you have 100% confidence in?

As for flchevygrls questions:
The BRS water saver (any "water saver" for that matter) is going to have two RO membranes - the waste from one is put pack into #2 to give it a 2nd pass. A simplified way to think of this: Instead of throwing away 2 waters for every 1 water produced - you'll now produce 1 waste water for every 1 water produced.

The bigger benefit to double RO membranes is the amount of water you can produce in a given time period rather than saving water. Water is pretty cheap and the amounts we are producing (and throwing away) hardly put a dent in our wallets. Even if your making 100 gallons of clean water - your throwing away ~400 gallons in a single RO membrane unit. Most water billing is occurring for every 1000 gallons so you wont notice a big difference in price between 500 total gallons used versus 300 gallons used in a double RO membrane unit. Double RO units usually increase the amount of water you can produce in an hour. instead of 1/2 gallon per hour - you might get upwards of 1 gallon per hour.

Where your money is better spent is in quality pre-filters. The whole chloramine block thing is a myth. There's no difference in the quality or construction of a chloramine carbon block from a high quality carbon block. Marketing guys stamp the carbon blocks as Chloramine blocks and add an extra 5 bucks to the cost of the filter.

Randy Holmes Farley covers what a carbon block does when it comes to chloramines:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/

I always buy my filters from spectrapure. They have a proven track record and have high quality all the time.

Pre-filter sediment:
http://spectrapure.com/FILTERS-MEMB...ron-Pleated-Sediment-Filter-Cartridge-10-inch

pre-filter carbon (two of them):
http://spectrapure.com/FILTERS-MEMB...RIDGES/0.5-Micron-Carbon-Block-Filter-10-inch

I dont think I would trust the filters packaged with the BRS unit for more than 100 gallons of produced water. You want to buy the smallest micron rating you can to ensure your not letting ions through tot he membrane.

I replace my pre-filters every 6 months and I produce around 100 gallons a month in clean water (that's about 5000 gallons of total water going through the RODI units I have). I replace the post filters (DI and Silica buster resins) when my TDS shows anything but zero on the output.

I personally run two of these units:
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/MaxCap-1-1-Ultra-High-Efficiency-100-GPD-RO-DI-System

I have modified them to include an extra canister so I can run two carbon blocks instead of the normal one (I moved the sediment filter over to the extra canister).

I run two because of the layout of my house and the tanks I have. They are so over the top in price because they are completely automated and have redundancies to increase the life of the membrane. Autoflush after every 40 gallons or so, turn on and off automatically based on float sensors, adjustable pressure across the membrane.

2015_03_09_150_Mixing_Station_UHE.jpg

2015_03_09_150_Mixing_Station_Overall.jpg

2016_06_09_300_Water_Station_2.jpg

2016_06_09_300_Water_Station_3.jpg

I meant the structure of the unit is the same, as for filter quality they vary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Looking at getting an rodi setup
Whats the difference between brs 6 stage rodi with water saver vs. the aquaFX barracuda model?
I mean other than price what's the difference?
And replacement filter costs?

anyone use one or the other rodi systems?

tia

Go to FAOIS and get John to put one together for you....And his as cheap as the online stores...

Does anyone know if we have chloramines in our water? I think when I looked Pasco did, but I couldn't find out if Hernando did, and didn't look for the others.

Like others have said, it depends on the quality of your water, how efficient you want it to be, how much you want to spend on resin, etc.

FWIW I have a chaepo (WaterGeneral) unit that I just buy decent filters for.

i have a tds meter...
Just checked our tds here and its... 282ppm
my boyfriend asked water co what they treat our water with he was told they add bleach to our water

where's the best place to hook up the water pressure gauge?
also where did you get those tanks at? somewhere local?
What pump is that? heheh
we are looking at the 150 gpd system
My dream is a 300 planning ahead.
Plus tired of hauling buckets to and from lfs.

there's three pressure gauges - one pre sediment and one post sediment (differences in pressure indicate clogged sediment). Third gauge goes on the membrane or membrane inlet. Better membranes are designed to have an optimal pressure where it is most efficient. That all depends on having a pump that is controllable or a valve to control the pressure. I wouldn't know how to modify an existing system to make this happen - so I bought a unit that matched what I wanted it to do.

Tanks were purchased from Glenn Industries (he's just off of Ulmerton near the intersection with Roosevelt) - down Automobile Blvd.

The pump comes with the RODI unit.

Now i have an interesting yet probably dumb question for y'all. I put my RODI system out in my garage. I am looking at having a storage container soon so i am not making water as often as i am now. My question is will it hurt anything to have the RODI system and the stored water in my garage in our wonderful Florida weather and heat? I do not have room in my house for any of it.

My question is will it hurt anything to have the RODI system and the stored water in my garage in our wonderful Florida weather and heat? I do not have room in my house for any of it.

I have mine in the garage as well (6 stage RODI, 2 90g tanks). No issues here, winter and summer temps do not effect water changes for me @ 10-15% weekly.

I just got a unit for air water fire, typhon model, came to $141 shipped with the coupon codes they listed on their RC sponsor page. free shipping, 15% off and free handheld TDS. i added the upgraded carbon block since my supply uses chloramine, and that got it over the $150 mark to use thier coupons.

Back