rodi

rone_kevin66

Looking for advice on new membrane and filters. I have a aquarium fx 4 stage with 50 Gpd membrane. All my filters need to be replaced but not sure on what production membrane to go with. I don't need 150 but don't no if the 100 is better then just a 75

Go with Spectrapure.
Get the 99% rejection 75 GPD membrane, appropriate flow restrictor & new cartridges.
Call them, very easy to deal with.

Cartridges are not all equal, especially in their micron ratings.
Spectrapure's 99% rated membranes actually save you money because your DI will last longer.

Cartridges are not all equal, especially in their micron ratings.
Spectrapure's 99% rated membranes actually save you money because your DI will last longer.

Very true BUT Spectrapure's "99%" membranes are most likely DOW's FilmTec membranes. As with most things, I am not satisfied with marketing claims alone so a bit of digging into boring data sheets or scientific journals is how my off time is spent. At the time of my research, I found that Spectrapure's "select" 90 gpd membranes were an OEM DOW Filmtec 75 gpd membrane BW60-1812-75.

"But, but, but explain the missing 15 gallons a day!?!"

The Devil is in the details with SpectraPure's desire for the device to be operated at 60 PSI. The BW60-1812-75 can produce greater than 75 gpd by increasing operating pressure to above the recommended 50 PSI. I know this to be factual because it is how my store's RODI system is configured. I yield approximately 360 gallons per day from four of the above-listed membranes being run at 60 PSI with a rejection rate surpassing 99%. Unfortunately, in our area, an unassisted pressure of 60 PSI is almost unheard of. Most are lucky to get 40-45 PSI without a booster pump. With the lower PSI neither 90 gpd nor a 99% rejection rate with be achieved. Despite this difference, I still recommend their use above competing products. Especially so over the poor choice and resin-killing 100 gpd membranes that are popular within the hobby.*

IMO, Spectrapure with their founder, Charles Mitsis, are the best minds in the home water purification industry. Much of what I know is credited to exchanges with Charles in years past. Charles' insights into Chloramine reduction should be required reading for all hobbyists. However with all due respect, "select" Tis nothing more than clever marketing.

* Topic of another post which can be easily found with a quick search of RC.

Back