Royal-Exclusiv / Vertex Cone Skimmer Club

Besides the white collar also note the different airhose connection. :bigeyes:
I did see that, you shouldn't have the problem with the water leaking out of the airline hole.
it took a while for you to get yours, but good things come to those who wait.

I did see that, you shouldn't have the problem with the water leaking out of the airline hole.
it took a while for you to get yours, but good things come to those who wait.

I can't believe they changed the airline to not run into the stand pipe. I would assume that would make the pump dead quiet with out the venturi echo noise in the line. I guess to many people complained about the harmless water running out of the hole?

I can't believe they changed the airline to not run into the stand pipe. I would assume that would make the pump dead quiet with out the venturi echo noise in the line. I guess to many people complained about the harmless water running out of the hole?

I don't know what your saying, are you saying its better or worse?

I'll answer, the new design is better, its used on SOME of the BK lines. its not just a dumb hole drilled in the side that leaks.

to be honest i have the alpha 170 and i find it frustrating that water leaks from where the airline connects to the pipe. in addition ive been having some trouble adjusting the unit

170 upgrade impeller

170 upgrade impeller

Hi everyone

I finally received my upgrade kit for my 170 from the store that i bought online from, as you can see on the enclosed picture ,the impeller seems to be missing two pins, i contacted the store and i am waiting for a resolution from them.
Does anyone know if it still can be used this way or will it put everything out of balance ?

Has anyone had the same experience ?

I know i should probably wait for a new impeller , i just wish i could try the skimmer out properly,been waiting since september.......

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1
Hey guys,

I am debating between an alpha 170 or 200. My sump is tight as it is, my total water volume is 140gal and my tank is stocked medium to heavily. Which skimmer would give me the best performance?

Also how many of you are running filter socks? I run one now but if I go for the alpha I might have to forgoe the sock because my sump is so tight. But the skimmer would be sitting right next to the drain lines so perhaps most of the stuff would get taken care of by the skimmer, what do you guys think? Am I even wasting my time with the sock, would removing it increase skimmer performance regardless of skimmer?

The sock will filter out some particulates, not all of which the skimmer will remove or is meant to remove. Keeps the sump floor nice and clean. I have used a filter sock for a long time. I stopped using one for a couple weeks when I replaced the sump not too long ago but went back to the sock. I saw no difference in skimmer performance either way. I replace the sock with a clean one atleast 2 times per week.

Yes. 8 hours in and the bubbles are only 1/2" above sump water level. I might just have to go back to the original and hope it works if nothing better happens in 24 hours.

DSC02329.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

Based on your pictures and the relative positions of your output T and where the air line enters the wedgepipe , the wedgepipe on my 200 would be open all the way or very close to it. It's very possible that yours is different ... Anyway, besides your sump water level being low as Jeremy pointed out, make sure your wedgepipe is adjusted accordingly. I know this is obvious but we all can overlook the simple things ... so no offense intended, just wanted to mention it based on your pictures relative to my 200.

I don't know what your saying, are you saying its better or worse?

I'll answer, the new design is better, its used on SOME of the BK lines. its not just a dumb hole drilled in the side that leaks.

The last picture I saw showed the airline going from the pump up to an external fitting on the silencer - not into the standpipe. I never called it a dumb hole.

Hi everyone

I finally received my upgrade kit for my 170 from the store that i bought online from, as you can see on the enclosed picture ,the impeller seems to be missing two pins, i contacted the store and i am waiting for a resolution from them.
Does anyone know if it still can be used this way or will it put everything out of balance ?

I know i should probably wait for a new impeller , i just wish i could try the skimmer out properly,been waiting since september.......

No comments or ideas ,anyone ?

Weird I just got a 200 and I got the white collar too, but the air hose connects the tube the normal way. Maybe there has been some slight changes. I got 59mm and 56mm tubes both are red with no grey one. I also got a smaller diameter tube with the gray nossle tip on it but theres no way it could fit in the front of the pump cause its so small. Seems weird like it wasn't supposed to be in there. Any thoughts on the small diameter tube maybe I'm missing something here.

The smaller diameter tube (gray) should have a gray bushing ont he end of it. This pushes into the existing gray bushing that is in the pump already.

Hi everyone

Maybe Jeremy would know ? Could this be a manufacturing defect ?

Looks like they were broken or cut off somewhere along the way. You can go ahead and use it with no problem. However, contact your distributor (who it was shipped from) and have them replace it for you.

Me: "Can I join the Vertex Alpha club?"

Bouncer: "Let me see your membership!"

Me: "Okay here it is: BOOOOM!!!" :dance:

(Thanks Premium Aquatics and DHL. US to the Netherlands in 3 days :bounce3:)

Still one question tho: What is the blue highlighted tube for? I have no idea.

_DBF4835-15.jpg

how come my skimmer airline go through a wipe pipe instead connect to black thing like your in the picture>?? ,,i like that so i can take of and clean easily,,,just don't know why,,

Ok I see how it works now, so we have three choices. 59mm, 56mm and a small diameter tube with a grey tip that slips into the other grey tip. Other than plug and play and see what works better can we make a general guide for which to use? I think klaus said the longer tube was for low bioload systems. So is the shorter tube for medium sized and the small diameter tube for max proformance? Just trying to make this more clear, I've read this whole thread and I think it could be more constuctive for new alpha users and less of a whine fest.

Kvmn: I think that one is an odd ball one. The reason yours goes through the pipe is to cut back on noise, klaus said you can hear air sucking noise more with it outside the pipe. I got a new one with a white collar aswell but mine runs through the pipe the old way, maybe there changing it or maybe that one is special.

Ofcourse it's special...because....it's mine!! :frog:

No seriously, it's the Alpha 250 with 220v. Maybe all new Alpha 250's airhoses are connected like mine is?

The odd thing is: Inside the standpipe the air intake is not connected to the damper (or silencer? dunno, I'm Dutch :fun4:). I mean the hose is connected to the black thingy as seen in the picture but inside it's not connected to the damper. Hmmm I know that sounds odd. Can't take a picture right now. Will post a picture of what I mean this week.

Maybe mine is a secret government experiment with a freak as a result :idea: :clown:

Kvmn: I think that one is an odd ball one. The reason yours goes through the pipe is to cut back on noise, klaus said you can hear air sucking noise more with it outside the pipe. I got a new one with a white collar aswell but mine runs through the pipe the old way, maybe there changing it or maybe that one is special.

Back