Rubble in Sump

joetekyun

How many of you guys run live rock rubble in your sump? I currently do because I wanted to just keep small pieces down there to attach little frags to eventually when my coral get big enough to frag, but I'm concerned about detritus. What do you guys do? No rubble at all?

Rubble here in both systems as well.
Always a nice frag plug on hand, and great place for pods to hang out and multiply.

Yup sure do. Not a whole chamber full just a bunch of random chunks. There's detritus in there regardless. I just move them about when I suck out the funk every now and then. Like John said its pod city in there. System is established, medium bio load, no nitrate issues at at this time.

Yeah I agree with you all. And when I do my monthly water changed I try to do them from the sump and suck stuff out. I kind of want to buy a wet vac to suck detritus out of the sump during water changes but I am trying my best to minimize buying too much additional stuff haha

Advice on wet vac-make sure you plug hose into inlet, not output-especially if other end of hose is in sump! Made that mistake moving my tank a couple months ago! I keep rubble in sump, as well as some sand and gravel-never a issue. I seldom clean detritus in sump-only in the display.

I used to use plastic grid to hold ruble off the glass. Used marbles to keep grid off bottom. Fwiw.

P.s. Joe you owe me a pic of your dt. ;)

Hey Drew, here it is. I can't get my iPhone to take close up pics since they just all come out crazy blue and nothing shows, but FWIW here's my best attempt at a pic!

reef.jpg

Back