Running Ozone

robbous

Ok i have read a lot on here on ozone in the reef tank, i currently run a very large 85-90w UV for my 500 gallon display but i am looking to switch over to running ozone. i just bought some used equipment which consist of a coralife Luft Pump which will run into an air dryer before it enters the enaly ozone generator which i am not sure what to set at? then from there the air will be injected into a avast ozone reactor that will be fed via a ahem 1260 pump the water that exits the avast reactor will then enter a avast MR10 reactor filled with carbon ( not pictured) from there where would this water go? into a skimmer for further breakdown of the ozone or directly into the sump? any advice that anyone could give me would be fantastic especially if its this same brand ozone generator and reactor. again please chime in. also i must add the ORP will be monitored and hooked up to my 2016 apex to control the ozone generator off and on functions

My advice is don't run ozone, it's not worth your time and will not make a difference in your tank. I ran ozone many years ago and it was a waist of time.

My advice is don't run ozone, it's not worth your time and will not make a difference in your tank. I ran ozone many years ago and it was a waist of time.

I've read many benefits of running it. i would like to discontinue the use of my uv with the bulbs and electricity. to me this is a alternate solution.

Would love more feedback on this thread so I basically wasted all my money on something that is no longer beneficial

i recently did some checking around for info on ozone and came to the realization that while ozone had it's place for some issues the cons heavily outweigh the pros.
it breaks down rubber parts, the pumps are noisy and it requires more than one piece of equipment that require adjustment and most importantly, its dangerous. much of it's benefit has been replaced by UV which as i'm sure you know is easy and self contained (aside from a pump or manifold to drive it)
also, you mention your tank is 500g and as expensive as your UV probably was it is completely undersized at 90w.

I have been running a low dose of ozone since around 2005, for keeping the water clear and aiding in nutrient removal it does work. The biggest issue with ozone is the dosage. Large doses can be problematic but smaller doses are safe. My goal was only water clarity and it excelled at that, even with a small dose. In my 110 I ran a 25 mg/hr Sanders unit at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

If you are expecting ozone to replace UV you will be disappointed.

Here are Randy's original articles on ozone and the reef.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

As far as equipment goes, it can be as complicated or as simple as you make it. I used an air pump for a few months in the beginning but stopped. I let my skimmer draw it in and had the skimmer effluent run over a bag of charcoal. I still have my G3 skimmer from 2005 and it was in use with ozone until 2012 and it suffered zero damage, nothing in my system has suffered any damage.

I have been running a low dose of ozone since around 2005, for keeping the water clear and aiding in nutrient removal it does work. The biggest issue with ozone is the dosage. Large doses can be problematic but smaller doses are safe. My goal was only water clarity and it excelled at that, even with a small dose. In my 110 I ran a 25 mg/hr Sanders unit at about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

If you are expecting ozone to replace UV you will be disappointed.

Here are Randy's original articles on ozone and the reef.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

As far as equipment goes, it can be as complicated or as simple as you make it. I used an air pump for a few months in the beginning but stopped. I let my skimmer draw it in and had the skimmer effluent run over a bag of charcoal. I still have my G3 skimmer from 2005 and it was in use with ozone until 2012 and it suffered zero damage, nothing in my system has suffered any damage.

Thanks for your input, see I bought all the equipment listed above I think I'm going to move forward with like you said using small amounts for a few hours at night control by my apex my current ORP runs between 390-405

I would not worry too much about the ORP, unless it gets higher than that. The goal should not be a specific number.

i recently did some checking around for info on ozone and came to the realization that while ozone had it's place for some issues the cons heavily outweigh the pros.
it breaks down rubber parts, the pumps are noisy and it requires more than one piece of equipment that require adjustment and most importantly, its dangerous. much of it's benefit has been replaced by UV which as i'm sure you know is easy and self contained (aside from a pump or manifold to drive it)
also, you mention your tank is 500g and as expensive as your UV probably was it is completely undersized at 90w.
I COMPLETELY disagree.
Let's break this down.
Noisy pumps: What pumps? No pump needed.
Breaks down rubber parts: It will break down rubbers and plastics. This is why you use ozone safe parts. Ozone-Compatible Skimmer, Kynar Fittings, Ozone Safe Tubing.
It's dangerous: Blown way out of proportion. I have two HVAC units in my house and both systems are fitted with Ozone air cleaners. Every time the AC kicks on I can smell a burst of ozone coming out of the vents. And I'm not dead. Neither are my wife, kids, dogs, cat or guinea pigs. Sure you need to not be an idiot when running your ozone generator but you'll probably kill everything in your tank before it starts affecting you. If hooked up and working properly of course.

Now I do partially agree with your UV statement. Due to lack of space and simplicity, I'd rather run just one option, and having used both, I settled on UV. They do two different things but there is some overlap and I felt the UV was better for my needs. But some people run both. I will say nothing produces an immediate change in water clarity like ozone does.

I let my skimmer draw it in and had the skimmer effluent run over a bag of charcoal.

Yep, that's all you need. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
No to steal your thread, but since it is on the same topic, anyone know of a reasonably priced ozone reactor? I've found a couple options but they all seem to be $600 plus, not really something I want to spend.

I know going through the skimmer is an option, but due to my current setup that isn't really an option, so I'm curious about alternatives.

I forgot how much I paid for Geo's but think it was 399

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No to steal your thread, but since it is on the same topic, anyone know of a reasonably priced ozone reactor? I've found a couple options but they all seem to be $600 plus, not really something I want to spend.

I know going through the skimmer is an option, but due to my current setup that isn't really an option, so I'm curious about alternatives.

I don't yet have the entire set up for mine yet but now I'm actually debating on if I want to even run it so who knows I may have my system up for sale

Yep, that's all you need. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

So if I use the above equipment I mentioned I can skip the skimmer then?

Yep, that's all you need. :thumbsup:

So if I use the above equipment I mentioned I can skip the skimmer then?[/QUOTE]

I was replying to sirreal's post about using the skimmer.
But in your case, with the equipment you listed, you are all set if not using a skimmer.
Air Dryer --> Ozone Generator --> Reactor --> Carbon --> Sump.

If you were using an ozone-safe skimmer, you could forgo the reactor.

So if I use the above equipment I mentioned I can skip the skimmer then?

But in your case, with the equipment you listed, you are all set if not using a skimmer.

If you were using an ozone-safe skimmer, you could forgo the reactor.[/QUOTE]

I do have a ozone safe skimmer a reef octopuss 300INT but seeing I have the reactor I figured might as well use that and fill it with carbon seeing you have to use carbon with the skimmer anyway maybe not as much but I'd rather use the reactor

If you were using an ozone-safe skimmer, you could forgo the reactor.

I do have a ozone safe skimmer a reef octopuss 300INT but seeing I have the reactor I figured might as well use that and fill it with carbon seeing you have to use carbon with the skimmer anyway maybe not as much but I'd rather use the reactor[/QUOTE]

FWIW, an Ozone reactor is generally a much more efficient means of implementing ozone. With an ozone reactor, you can control the water flow through it creating much better contact time with the ozone. You also have the advantage of the 2nd reactor with carbon stripping excess ozone from the water and elimininating excess ozone from the air that is common with a skimmer. I ran an ozone reactor for some time and I too prefer a quality UV sterilzer over ozone. The UV oxidizes organics similar to o3. A properly setup and sized quality UV can have a dramatic impact on ORP as well. Below is a screen shot of my ORP immediately following a bulb change on my 114 watt AquaUV unit. I normally change my bulbs once a year but missed a bulb change and at about 1.5 years, my bulbs died. I noticed my ORP tank and when I investigated, I found the bulbs were toast. I immediately replaced the bulbs and over the course of 10 days, it went from 275 back to 400. Having run ozone before (I still have my reactor and all my equipment, I can say with experienced, that UV can have a faster impact on overall water quality the o3. At least in my experience and trust me when I tell you, I had my ozone setup right with very good equipment. The proof is in the pudding as they say and the graph below speaks volumes about what a quality UV can do for water quality.
IMG_4952_zpsulrymhuv.png

I would disagree with the ozone is worthless comment. Ozone oxidizes nitrate, organics, microbes, pathogens, and Protozoa, to name a few. UV does many of the same things, which are all good. Ozone creates a healthy environment for the fish and corals and the is the main reason I use it with an ozone reactor. Another benefit is a significant reduction of skimmate odor and tank odors in general.

Carbon doesn’t actually need to be used to absorb residual ozone. The third molecule simply needs to collide against a media of some kind in order to release the third oxygen atom. Calcium reactor media , for example, works just as effectively. Compared to GAC, oxidized coral chips do not need to be replaced and the oxidation process may even release some minor trace minerals from the coral chips. This may save a few dollars on GAC over time. Especially if you were planning to replace it on a schedule.

Ozone, implemented per instruction, is something that greatly benefits fish health.

Last edited:
I would disagree with the ozone is worthless comment. Ozone oxidizes nitrate, organics, microbes, pathogens, and Protozoa, to name a few. UV does many of the same things, which are all good. Ozone creates a healthy environment for the fish and corals and the is the main reason I use it with an ozone reactor. Another benefit is a significant reduction of skimmate odor and tank odors in general.

Carbon doesn't actually need to be used to absorb residual ozone. The third molecule simply needs to collide against a media of some kind in order to release the third oxygen atom. Calcium reactor media , for example, works just as effectively. Compared to GAC, oxidized coral chips do not need to be replaced and the oxidation process may even release some minor trace minerals from the coral chips. This may save a few dollars on GAC over time. Especially if you were planning to replace it on a schedule.

Ozone, implemented per instruction, is something that greatly benefits fish health.

Nice! Thanks for sharing, like I said I'm currently using the UV sterilizer and my ORP currently runs between 390-405. But I would still like to give the O-Zone shot I just think it would be cheaper vs the UV having to purchase the bulbs which usually cost me around $90 plus electricity to run it, I plan on running the O-Zone for maybe a couple hours a night but basically have it hooked up to the apex to allow that to control it

Back