Sad day around our house

Bandsaw

It's a sad day around our house today. We lost two friends from the tank, one of whom has been through so many disasters in the tank, that we though of her as imortal.

Where we live, we have power failures that can last for days. I have always kept a light bioload and lots of rock in the tank so I don't need to worry about things for at least the first 24 hours. In fact, we have had the power off three days before I got home and some backup power to get the water circulating and heating again. Never have I had a problem with loosing live stock. So, I was not too worried last Thursday when a storm moved through and we lost power. By comparision, we were in the dark for only a short time at 18 hours compared to other times.

Power came on, the lights came on when they were suspose to. Two fish missing. I figured they were hiding. A day went by, no sign of them. With a billion places to hide, I could not find them. As a precaution, I tested for Ammonia twice a day, none. Notice this morning the skimmer had stopped skimming. Then this afternoon, the sump was beginning to smell. Time to search again. This time, I found my female Clarki Clown wedged in between two rocks in the back. Took a while for my wife and I to pry the rocks apart enough to hget her. In doing so, we dislodged the resting place of my one spot fox face - also deceased.

I have had that clown for almost 10 years. What ever was different this time around around with the power failure, I lost two of my best friends. That clown would come to my hand, take a nibble - everytime. She would eat out of hand and take no guf from anyone in the tank.

Just glad we got them both out. We were scheduled to leave tomarrow for a week for AV.

That is my sad tale.

Back